Last Updated on
This simple Enchilada Stuffed Shell Appetizer makes a perfect bite-size addition to any party menu.
An easy weeknight meal for us is burritos with ground turkey. We always end up with tons of leftover meat though and I wanted to come up with a way to use the meat again without it being the same meal.
I found that the meat was the perfect mixture for Enchilada Stuffed Shells and since the meat is already made it is so simple. When the mixture is stuffed inside jumbo shells the enchilada shells become the perfect bite-size appetizer and are a perfect Supper Bowl appetizer.
The following recipe is written so that you can make the two separate meals or just make the Enchilada Stuffed Shell Appetizer from the start.
Enchilada Stuffed Shell Appetizer
- Burrito Filling
- ground turkey with Italian seasoning
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- Enchilada Filling
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 box of jumbo shells
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- In a saute pan heat a turn of the pan of extra virgin olive oil. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the ground turkey and brown. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander and rinsed black beans to the mixture to heat through. This is the mixture for the burritos.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Cook one box of jumbo shells according to the box directions.
- To the burrito mixture (save a bit of enchilada sauce for the bottom of the baking dish) add one can of enchilada sauce and heat through.
- Next, in a baking dish spread the bit of enchilada sauce that was set aside. Fill the cooked jumbo shells with the enchilada mixture and place seam side up in the baking dish. Sprinkle the filled shells with cheddar cheese and place in the preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes.