Never made sweet hot pickled radishes before? That’s okay you can do this. These are refrigerator pickles. So all you need to do is cut up the veggies, boil the pickling liquid, pour it over everything and tuck it in the refrigerator. The fridge does all the work for you, love that!!
Sweet Hot Pickled Radishes
Hey it’s Deb again from Bowl Me Over, thank you again for the opportunity to share another recipe on your site Jenny! I’m stopping by today to share with you my recipe for Sweet Hot Pickled Radishes!
To get started I want to tell you how easy this is AND these little pickles are completely delicious!
Are you a pickle-lover? I am a big lover of all things pickled like Refrigerator Pickles and Pickled Peppers. I’ve worked pickles into this recipe for Red Rice Thai Wrap (amazing!) and Cuban Sliders – what can I say I love pickles!
So check out these radishes. These are watermelon radishes also known as Chinese radishes. They taste just like a regular radish, but they are super pretty aren’t they?
I think they are gorgeous and just to share a bit more NONE of the pictures I’m sharing today have been color enhanced in the least? Aren’t they amazing?
If you plant a garden this spring, consider planting these little delicious gems! Just look for packets of watermelon or Chinese radishes at your local garden store. Watermelon radishes are slightly spicy and super crunchy – really yummy!
Make Your Own Pickles!
To get started, the first step is thinly slicing the radishes – no fancy radishes? No problem, use regular radishes, carrots or cucumbers – you can use almost any type of root vegetable! Slice the radishes and pile them into a jar, packing the jar tightly.
I don’t use a fancy mandolin to slice the vegetables either. Just a knife – here’s something to keep in mind – the thiner you slice the vegetable the softer the pickle will be. If you enjoy a crunchy pickle, slice them thick.
Step two is combining the pickling liquid – sugar, vinegar, water, garlic & jalapeños into a pan, bringing to a boil, simmering and then allowing it to cool. Next you’ll pour it over the radishes.
You don’t have to have a fancy jar either – any old glass jar will work as long as you are able to fit the veggies in and close it tightly. Fill the jars with the liquid to the top covering the radishes.
Then into the refrigerator they go. Technically I try to wait for a week, but I’m usually digging into the jar by the next day!
Delicious? Yes, sweet – absolutely! Spicy, just a hint of heat. Homemade pickles are easy too! These pickles amazing! Perfect to on a burger, beautiful side dish on your buffet and a yummy snack too.
Sweet Hot Pickled Radishes
Cuisine American #Vegan #Vegetarian
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
Servings 2 quarts
Author Souper Chef Deb
- 3-4 bunches radishes cleaned, stems and greens removed
- 1-2 jalapeños pepper
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Start by cleaning the jars well. Invert and allow to dry completely.
- Next prepare the jalapeños pepper. Remove and discard the seeds and veins of the pepper (if you’re concerned about too much heat if you’re not, leave them in!), chop finely. Mince the garlic.
- Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar, water, garlic and pepper into pan on the stove. Turn on high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue at a low boil for two minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool
- Clean the radishes, remove the root and greens. Slice thinly. Pack into jars. You’ll want to pack the radishes tightly into the jars because as they begin to pickle they will shrink so pack them as tightly as possible.
- Pour the cooled liquid into the jars. Seal tightly and refrigerate. I try and wait 1 week before using, but after 24 hours, the pickles begin to get sweet and spicy!
If you enjoy this recipe, please check out my blog, Bowl Me Over!