Last Updated on
Looking for something different for mom for Mother’s Day? How about a cupcake bouquet? You can make one of these pretty easily and mom is sure to be impressed. Making flowers on cupcakes is so much fun and there is no wrong way to do it. The kids will love helping you with this project too.
In order to make the flowers shown here use a star tube. I used tubes 96, 106 and 74. When decorating the cupcakes be sure to start on the outer edge and work to the inside. I sprinkled the tops with Edible Glitter too. Sprinkles or Jimmies would be great also! In a hurry? Just frost the cupcakes and use Jelly Beans to make flowers.
You’ll need to find or buy a suitable container for the cupcakes, even a clay flower pot would work great. You will also need some foam for the inside of the pot, wooden skewers, colored grass and ribbon. The colored grass is to cover the foam in between the cupcakes.
I found it easiest to put the skewers in the foam without the cupcake and then stick the cupcake on top of the skewer. Poke a hole in the bottom of the cupcake with the sharp end of the skewer will make it easier to put the cupcakes into the arrangement.
Did you know that when you use real vanilla beans, that after you scrape the seeds out that you can add them to sugar for at least a week and make vanilla sugar? It is a great use for the pods instead of throwing them out. Use the sugar in coffee or baking.
Make sure to grab the Frosting Recipe while you’re baking the cupcakes! It’s a versatile frosting that works great on cakes and cupcakes alike.
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 vanilla bean
- Add the butter and sugar to your mixer bowl. Beat until sugar and butter are combined and light with the whisk attachment.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla. Cut vanilla bean in half and scrape out the inside. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix together in a small bowl the cake flour, flour, salt and baking powder. Stir with a fork to combine.
- Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk to the butter, sugar and egg mixture. Mix until combined. Add remaining flour and milk.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes for the mini cupcakes and 18 – 20 minutes for the regular cupcakes.
- Makes 96 mini cupcakes or 2 dozen regular cupcakes
- Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.