The warm springtime weather is here for the most part in NY so I thought I’d share a springtime recipe with all of you. My Pesto Stuffed Chicken is packed with flavor from the Kale & Spinach Pesto, but is versatile for indoor cooking with it’s crispy crust that is pan fried and then baked through.
Pesto Stuffed Chicken
You might have noticed from my Bruschetta Chicken Pasta with Balsamic Reduction that we are craving Spring flavors in the Melrose household. Plus, we have a bit of a thing for chicken. This time though I needed that crunchy coating of pan fried chicken so I served it over risotto, rather than pasta. To start out you’ll want to slice the chicken vertically so that there is a pocket for the pesto and cream cheese mixture to sit in. Once there is ample mixture inside just close the pocket and dip it into the beaten egg so that the chicken can be coated with the Italian Breadcrumbs and Stove Top Stuffing mixture. Simply dredge the chicken through the mixture to coat completely.
Place the coated chicken into a pan to fry so that there is a crispy brown coating on the outside. You are not looking to cook the chicken all the way through. You just want a nice browned coloring to the chicken. Once the chicken is browned place it on a tin foil wrapped baking pan and place it into the preheated oven. You want the juices to run clear and the chicken to be cooked to 170 F. The chicken should bake for about 20 minutes.
Once the chicken is baked, place it on top of a rice or pasta of your choosing. I went with risotto, which is a family favorite. Top the chicken with a dollop of pesto to tie everything together. Even my picky three year old loved this meal, which is a definite win for me!
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon kale & spinach pesto
- 1 egg beaten
- Stove Top stuffing mix
- Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the cream cheese and kale & spinach pesto to use for stuffing.
- Slice the chicken down the middle so that there is a pocket to stuff the pesto and cream cheese mixture.
- Place the cream cheese and pesto inside the pocket.
- Dip the chicken in the beaten egg and then layer with the Stove Top Stuffing Mix and Italian breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chicken until it is browned on both sides by cooking in extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake the chicken at 400 F until the juices from the chicken run clear (about 20 mins).
- Top with kale & spinach pesto.
You may also like…