Last Updated on
Another social media outlet that can drive traffic to a site is StumbleUpon. It can create a major influx of traffic, but understanding the basics of StumbleUpon is key to benefiting from it’s full potential as a social media outlet.
After the success of my 8 Tips for Optimizing Pinterest & 8 Tips to Maximize Your Google+ Presence, I thought the next form of social media should be StumbleUpon. I am still feeling my way around StumbleUpon so I didn’t feel comfortable giving tips, but I thought the next best thing would be explaining the basics since it appears that there are a lot of questions.
1. Set up your StumbleUpon profile. Make sure to use a picture that people will recognize your brand. Next, you’ll be asked to enter your interests, which is the genres of posts that will be stumbled or shown to you. The best way to think of stumbling is like surfing the web, except that you push a button and posts that StumbleUpon believes you’ll like will be shown.
2. The significance of the thumbs up button. Once you hit the stumble button and a post is shown to you, you can decide to thumbs up or thumbs down the post. If you thumbs up a post it does two things. The first is that StumbleUpon now knows that you are interested in similar posts. The second is that the post that you gave the thumbs up to will be circulated to other stumblers with similar interests of yours. On the contrary, if you thumbs down a post it let StumbleUpon know that you’re not interested in that type of post as well as it does not pass the post on to people with your similar interests.
3. As a blogger have a StumbleUpon button on your site. If you want your posts to be stumbled then make it easier for people to do so. Stumbling is one of the easiest shares that can be made across social media! So make it easy for others to stumble your posts. If you’re on WordPress there are tons of plugins that include StumbleUpon as a way to share. I, personally, use Shareaholic. If you’re on blogger, you can find a great tutorial on how to add a button here.
4. Make sure to add multiple, relevant tags on a 1st time stumble of a post. When a post is stumbled for the first time, you’ll need to add the interest area by selecting from the list provided. Next, you’ll add the tags. You want to add multiple tags and make sure that they are relevant to the post. The multiple tags provides an opportunity for more people to see the post based upon their interests.
5. You should follow other stumblers that follow you and those that stumble within your interest. Stumblers that have more followers and like those within their interest are likely to have greater success when stumbling a post. It is almost as if, stumblers with more followers and shares have a greater authority within StumbleUpon.
6. Make sure to stumble posts other than just yours. My rule is that I can stumble one of my posts for every ten posts of other bloggers. StumbleUpon is known for actually kicking out people that abuse stumbling for their own profit.
Are you a stumbler? Leave me your profile in the comments and I’ll be sure to follow along. You can find me here.