Recently, I attended a cooking class where I learned how to make an apple crostata, which to be honest, I didn't love. However, I still loved making the yummy spiced apple mix. There's just something special about the crunchy texture of apples, warm cinnamon and tart flavor. So I knew I had to come home and turn that dish into a delicious apple pie parfait. You can enjoy this apple pie parfait as a quick breakfast, mid-day snack, or even as a dessert.
About Apple Pie Parfait
My family just loves a good parfait, especially in the morning because it’s filling, super easy to assemble, and portable if need be. The best part is you can buy or prepare all the ingredients ahead of time so you have absolutely no reason to skip your important meal of the day.
Apple pie parfait calls for three main layers:
- Yogurt. I prefer thick, plain-Greek yogurt for additional protein whipped with a little cinnamon and honey. Instead of flavored yogurt with a ton of added sugar, I always recommend getting the plain-kind and using actual fruits or little honey to add sweetness.
2. Apples. Chop the apples into small pieces and spice them with cinnamon, lemon juice, brown sugar to give the apple pie flavor. Adding lemon juice adds a little tartness which I like & it also helps prevent apples from browning. This really helps if you are preparing it ahead of time. If the apple you are using it is already tart, I’d skip the lemon juice.
3. Granola. If you’ve never tried making your own - do it and stop paying all that money. My Cranberry Orange Granola is my go-to and I can easily vary nuts, spices, and seeds depending upon what I have on hand. For the apple pie parfait, I simply spiced it with cinnamon and pecans and skipped the cranberry and orange. Pro tip : I have found that storing granola in the refrigerator keeps it crispy and fresh.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
Apple Pie Parfait
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup granola
- 1 large apple chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whip yogurt with cinnamon and honey. Keep it aside or refrigerate it until needed.
- In another bowl, toss chopped apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Keep it aside or refrigerate it until needed.
- Line a tall glass or a wine glass with a 2 tablespoon of yogurt, 1-2 tablespoon granola, and a small handful of apple mix. Repeat the process.