If you want to create a dried flowers shadow box as a decorative accessory for your home or as a way to preserve and present your 'special day' flowers in a wedding bouquet shadow box, this DIY project is easy.
What is a Dried Flowers Shadow Box?
A shadow box is an item that allows you to create dried flower displays in a decorative frame in a few easy steps. These boxes come in different colors and sizes and are easily available online. You can display these boxes on tables and shelves or even hang them on walls to create beautiful floral keepsakes.
What Makes Dried Flowers Shadow Box a Great DIY?
Creating dried flower projects is not only fun, but it is also a great way to express individual creativity. Displaying dried flowers in a shadow box is an easy project that can add a touch of color and elegance to any room in your home.
It also makes an amazing handmade gift that is easy to create and affordable. The best part is if preserved properly, the dried flowers last for a long time making this project a great keepsake.
- Shadow box
- Assorted dried flowers
- Foam block(s)
- Crafting moss
- Hot glue gun
- Clear glue sticks
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Craft knife (cutting tool)
How to Make Dried Flower Shadowbox Art?
Once you've selected a shadow box for dried flowers and an assortment of dried items, follow the steps below to create a flower shadow box. For this project, a 16-inch by 20-inch shadow box frame is used.
- Step 1. Place the shadow box and supplies in a workspace where you have easy access to the supplies and plenty of room to work.
- Step 2. Arrange the dried flowers apart from the shadow box to get a visual idea of how they will be placed inside the frame.
- Step 3. Measure the length and width of the bottom edge of the flower shadow box.
- Step 4. Next, cut a block(s) of foam to match the measurement. Depending on the size of the shadow box, it may require the use of more than one block of foam. Once the blocks are cut to size, place the foam pieces inside the frame to make sure they fit nicely without interfering when the frame top is closed.
- Step 5. Secure the foam pieces with a dollop or two of hot glue. The foam serves as an anchor when inserting dried flower stems.
- Step 6. Begin placing and arranging the dried flowers in the shadow box so you see the effect and color pattern plus determine the height and width of the flower display.
- Step 7. Use the craft scissors to cut the flower stems to the desired height that will be displayed. Be sure to leave an extra portion of the stem to insert into the foam block.
- Step 8. Once the dried flowers are placed, step back and look at the display. Make any adjustments to flower placement, color combinations, if applicable, and the overall symmetry of the display.
- Step 9. Use a dab of hot glue to attach and secure the stems to the shadow box frame. If the glued spot is visible, place another dried flower in front of the glued area to conceal the spot.
- Step 10. Cover the foam blocks and the stems with moss to create a natural and free appearance. Secure with a little hot glue, if necessary.
- Step 11. Close the frame top and enjoy the finished project.
Tips and Tricks
- You should have a clear idea of what your finished project should look like. This gives you a visual goal and makes the creating process much easier.
- Have a spacious and non-cluttered work area.
- Don't rush and be as creative as you like.
If you are looking for more easy and amazing home décor crafts, check out this DIY tissue box cover and this beautiful Macrame Wall Hanging.
How long do dried flowers last in a shadow box?
It depends on the flower type. Some flowers last several years while others do not. Also, if the display is exposed to excessive sunlight, colors will fade. So we recommend you display your dried flower shadow box on a wall inside your home and keep it away from direct sunlight.
How do you keep dried flowers from falling apart?
There are number of ways to prevent your dried flowers from falling apart. Keep them in cool, dry places away from direct sunlight and humidity. You can also apply a coating of specially designed floral spray to support preservation.
Are dried flowers a nice gift?
Yes, dried flowers make a great gift. Unlike fresh flowers, dried flowers last for a long time and are available in numerous colors. There is plenty of room for choice and creativity and they definitely make a unique, original gift your loved ones will cherish!
How to choose flowers for making a dried flower shadow box?
If you are planning to dry out fresh flowers and put them in a shadow box, choose the flowers that are fully bloomed and at their peak. It's difficult to dry out buds and store them in a shadow box.
If you are using store bought dried flowers, choose the ones with long stems that you can easily insert in a foam block and arrange neatly. You can even buy a dried flower bouquet and use it for this craft.
How to Dry Flowers to Put in a Shadow Box?
If you are planning to dry out fresh flowers and preserve them in a shadow box, you need to dry the flowers for at least a week by hanging them in a dry and dark place like a closet or your basement. Once the flowers have a kind of brittle feel to them once touched, you can move them to a shadow box.
Leave a Reply