Last Updated on
Every year my dad tells us that all he wants for his birthday are some Baby Ruth candy bars so I thought this year I’d kick it up a notch and make some super, easy Baby Ruth Cupcakes to celebrate his birthday. These cupcakes were absolutely amazing with their Baby Ruth filling and Almond Buttercream frosting topped with caramel sauce and a Baby Ruth candy.
Baby Ruth Cupcakes
The caramel sauce over the Almond Buttercream frosting was a must after the success of my Apple Pie Cupcakes. I knew that Riley would devour the frosting. It’s not too grown up like my Blueberry Lemonade Cupcakes were. The Baby Ruth in the center was inspired by my Chocolate PB&J Cupcakes and worked like a charm. A deliciously sweet charm that is!
I used Betty Crocker’s yellow cake mix for the inside of my cupcakes. I filled the cupcake liner with about 2 tablespoons of cake batter and then pressed 1/2 of a Fun Size Baby Ruth candy into the center. Finally, I dropped another tablespoon of cake batter to cover the candy to fill the liners about 2/3 of the way full. I baked the cupcakes according to the box directions, which was 18-22 minutes. I made sure to stick a toothpick in to see that it came out clean before pulling the cupcakes from the oven.
I frosted the cupcakes with Almond Buttercream using my 1A tip to form a rose shape out of the frosting. I then topped it with caramel sauce and 1/2 of a Fun Size Baby Ruth candy. I didn’t need to push the candy down in the center of the cupcake as far down into the batter as I did, but they still came out fabulous!
- Yellow Cake
- Betty Crocker’s Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 3 eggs
- Bag of Fun Size Baby Ruth Candies
- Almond Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup solid white vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon Almond extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
- 1 tablespoon Wilton’s Meringue Powder
- Caramel Sauce
- 20 caramel squares
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line cupcake tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- Combine Betty Crocker’s cake mix with eggs, butter, and water and beat together.
- Place 2 tablespoons of cake batter into cupcake liners.
- Place 1/2 a Fun Size Baby Ruth candy into each cupcake.
- Cover the candy with a tablespoon of cake batter.
- Cook for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- While the cupcakes bake prepare the Almond Buttercream frosting by beating the vegetable shortening, almond extract, meringue powder, water and slowly mix in the confectioner’s sugar until all 3 cups of sugar are added.
- For the caramel sauce, melt 20 caramels mixed with 1/2 cup of milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat until the sauce is smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes once they are cool with the Almond Buttercream frosting.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the frosting and top with 1/2 of a Fun Size Baby Ruth candy.