Margaritas mean fun, and this passion fruit margarita is full of bold passion fruit flavor and sweetness, some bright citrus lime, and the unmistakable punch of tequila. These fun shaken cocktails are easy to prepare and will bring the party to whenever they are served.
Passion Fruit Margarita
- Cointreau (or Grand Mariner or Triple Sec)
- passion fruit juice
- lime juice + limes for garnish
- simple syrup
- salt (or sugar) for the rim
- Mint (for garnish)
What Makes Passion Fruit Margarita A Great Drink?
When you make a passion fruit margarita recipe, you are combining the classic flavors of a traditional margarita (Cointreau, which offers orange flavor, lime juice, and tequila) with the sweet, yet tart passion fruit flavor that melds perfectly and adds an extra zing to the flavor profile.
Plus, the margarita becomes a more tropical, exotic reason to celebrate with a delicious cocktail when with friends and family.
🔪 How to Make Passion Fruit Margarita
- Shake vigorously.
- Next, dip the rims of glasses into water, followed by salt (or sugar, if preferred).
- Finally, strain the cocktail into the salt or sugar-filled glasses and add garnish with fresh mint leaves.
💭Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can simply use a mason jar with a lid. Mason jars are so cute and inexpensive and can be used in so many ways around the holiday season, as we've outlined in our popular mason jar ideas article.
- Add in the ice and other ingredients in the same way, tighten the lid, and shake away. When straining into the glasses, just hold a little strainer over the top or a large spoon to strain properly.
- If you don’t have a cocktail measuring cup, you can measure ounces out in a glass measuring cup or even in the same mason jar you might be using to shake up the drink!
- Remember, if you’re using real passion fruit, make sure to strain out all the seeds before adding the pulp/juice to your cocktail.
You can get creative with this passion fruit margarita recipe by adding slices of different fruits inside the cocktail, like peaches, mangoes, or other flavors. You can add some slices of jalapeno to the mix for a spicy passion fruit cocktail or even blend the whole thing for frozen margaritas.
And if you love using spices and herbs in your recipes, check out this article to know how to store herbs and spices.
The margarita world is yours to explore, so let passion fruit show you the way! If you are looking for more holiday drink ideas do check out our Christmas Sangria recipe and this classic Cranberry Caipirinha cocktail.
Also if you love the flavor of passion fruit check out this perfectly scrumptious passion fruit cheesecake recipe.
How do you make spicy passion fruit margarita?
The main extra step is adding 2-5 slices of jalapeno, depending on how spicy you want your drink to be. In your cocktail shaker or mason jar, muddle the jalapeno, along with 2-3 slices of lime to create a zesty, spicy base.
You can then go ahead and add ice, along with the other ingredients and proceed in making spicy passion fruit margaritas.
How do you make frozen passion fruit margarita?
Do I need to use fresh passion fruit for making margarita?
No - using fresh passion fruit, scooping out the curd, and straining into the cocktail mix makes for a lovely flavor, but passion fruit can be hard to locate at times, so any 100% natural passion fruit juice will work just as well for making a passion fruit margarita.
Can I use lemon juice instead of lime?
Absolutely. Lime tends to pair very well with tequila, but using lemon works just as well to cut the sweetness of the passion fruit and blend well with your margaritas.
Passion Fruit Margarita Recipe
- 3 oz. Tequila Hornitos is a great brand for tropical flavors
- 1.5 oz. Cointreau or any orange-flavored liqueur like Grand Mariner or Triple Sec
- 4 oz. passion fruit juice
- 1 oz. lime juice + limes for garnish
- ½ oz. simple syrup I used half agave / half water
- salt or sugar for the rim
- mint for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar filled with ice, add the tequila, orange liqueur, passion fruit juice, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Shake vigorously for approximately 20 - 30 seconds.
- Dip the rims of your serving glasses into water, followed by salt (or sugar, if preferred), until it covers the rim of the glass.
- Add fresh ice to your serving glasses, along with additional slices of lime (or any other fruit you’d like).
- Strain the cocktail into the salt or sugar-filled glasses and add additional lime and/or mint garnish. Enjoy!