Banana bread muffins are an easy way to use brown bananas and create a breakfast or snack that your entire family will gobble up. Plus, the brown sugar topping in this recipe makes them that much tastier, and add a little crunch.
Trust me, this banana bread recipe will become an instant family favorite in your household. I can’t recommend it enough. And be sure to follow my tips and tricks below to make the perfect muffins.
The Ultimate Snack Using Ripe Bananas
Would you believe me if I told you that my 4-year-old ate six of these banana bread muffins? Yep, six. I’m not sure where he puts them. He is a growing boy for sure, and when he hits those growth spurts, there is no stopping him! I can’t blame him, though, because these banana muffins really are that good. They are great to make in big batches to freeze for a quick breakfast, brunch or after school snack.
I feel like we always have leftover bananas. Even though we all love bananas and eat them regularly, sometimes a few still slip through the cracks and turn brown. I’ve made so many different muffin recipes using bananas, and so far these are my favorite. It is easy to see why these have become so popular with the family. They are easy to put together and bake, and there is just nothing like warm, delicious muffins right out of the oven with a little melted butter. Yum.
How To Make Banana Bread Muffins
To make this recipe you will need: all-purpose flour, brown sugar, sugar, one egg, three ripe bananas, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Add all your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
In a separate large bowl (large enough you could whisk or use a hand mixer) or in your stand mixer, mix together wet ingredients.
Once both are mixed separately, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and keep on mixing until the banana bread muffin batter is just combined. Don’t over mix these, or they won’t be as light and fluffy.
Fill muffin pan slots about 3/4 of the way up with batter. You don’t have to line the muffin tins since they come out pretty easily without them, but it doesn’t hurt if you do want to line them.
After that, it is time to top the batter with the good stuff, and by “good stuff”, you should know that I mean butter and sugar. In a small bowl, mix up the brown sugar and butter crumb topping using a fork, and place a spoonful (or more) on each banana bread muffin.
You are ready to bake and then enjoy this simple banana muffin recipe.
Banana Bread Tips And Tricks
- Make a batch and freeze the extra to defrost later in the week for breakfast or an after school snack.
- Add chocolate chips to make them a bit sweeter. Everyone needs chocolate for breakfast!
- Turn this recipe into a banana bread by using a bread pan rather than a muffin pan.
- To help ripen bananas that are not quite brown enough, place them in a brown paper bag and close loosely.
- You can also brown bananas by placing them on a baking sheet and putting them in an oven at 300 degrees for 40 minutes. Once the skin is black they are browned and ready to be used in this banana bread recipe.
I usually end up making my muffins the night before since I have toddlers that don’t like waiting for food. But a few mornings ago, I decided to make these again for the boys. They are so easy to put together and bake, I didn’t have to worry about getting up extra early or making them the night before.
Unfortunately, they are so good they don’t last long in our house! Hope you enjoy these as much as our family does!
Banana Bread Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
Brown Sugar Topping
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tin with oil.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together. In a separate bowl or stand mixer beat together bananas, egg, melted butter, and sugar. Slowly add your flour mix into your banana mix. Mix until combined and then spoon into prepared muffin tin.
- In a small bowl add flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter. Use a fork to mix together. It should end up looking like crumbles. Add these on top of your muffins before baking.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the muffin.
More Great Recipe Ideas Made With Bananas
If you liked this recipe, make sure to check out these other great recipe ideas for using brown bananas: