When it comes to eating Riley is not the best eater, especially for me. At daycare, she'll eat whatever the other kids are eating, but at home, she always gives me a bit of a hard time. For the longest time, she wouldn't eat meat for me, which was crazy to my carnivorous husband. Luckily though Riley loves her pasta and because of the options that Barilla Better for You Pasta offers, I can feel comfortable knowing that she is getting added nutrients. A go-to pasta meal in our house is Broccoli and Sausage Pasta using Whole Grain Medium Shells. From start to finish this feel-good, family meal takes twenty minutes.
Broccoli and Sausage Pasta
The best part about this meal is that it is easy enough for Riley to pick out the sausage from her pasta and my husband and I can still enjoy it without having to make an entirely new meal for Riley. On occasion this does happen in our household. It's usually a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and she always has to at least try what we are eating first, but it happens. That never happens with this meal though and I'm able to switch up the pasta that I use, but I always use Barilla Pasta whether its the whole grain, veggie or white fiber that I pick up from our local Stop & Shop.
I like to use sweet sausage in this dish, but every once in awhile I'll sneak in some hot sausage. Whenever I cook sausage I always remove the casing. Recently, I've started to use it as crumbled sausage and it seems to add to the flavor.
For this meal, you'll want to brown the sausage while you start to boil the water for the pasta. Once the sausage is browned set it aside until the pasta and broccoli are cooked. You'll want to add the broccoli to the pasta when there are about four minutes left for the pasta to cook. Aside from the pan used to brown the sausage, everything else takes place in one large pot so clean up is quick and easy.
Barilla offers tons of varieties in their pasta. We like to use their elbow and rotini pasta in our Goulash and our Sausage Tequila Cream Sauce is a great sauce over any of their pastas. To keep up with Barilla's latest be sure to check out their Facebook page.
- 6 sausage links
- 1 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Box of Barilla Whole Grain Medium Shells
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- Bag of cut, frozen broccoli
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Boil the water and chicken stock in a large pot and add the pasta once the water is boiling.
- Remove the sausage links from its casings.
- Add the tablespoon of EVOO to a hot pan and brown the sausage.
- Once the pasta has four minutes remaining add the broccoli and continue to cook.
- Before draining the pasta and broccoli, remove 1 cup of the liquid from the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and return it to the pot.
- Add the browned sausage, lemon juice, 1 cup of liquid, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
If you're looking for more Comforting Pasta Recipes, then you won't want to miss these 10 recipes.