The Ultimate Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Making thick and fudgy homemade chocolate cookies don’t have to be a chore with this easy chocolate crinkle cookies recipe! It takes just over two dozen cookies, in about half an hour!
Hi guys! You remember me, Kristine from Kristine in between. It’s been a busy week over here! I had kids home for a solid week because of the teacher strike here in Arizona, as well as finally taking the time to update my blog, which I had been putting off. But, none of that stopped me from finding some time to get my booty in the kitchen and make this delicious chocolate crinkle cookies recipe!
I’ve made a lot of chocolate cookies in my day, and I mean A LOT! But this is probably my most requested chocolate cookie recipe of…well, ever. I’ve been making these cookies for years and no, not just at Christmas!
Let me tell you about these cookies! They might be small, but they’re absolutely delicious! They’re loaded with fudge flavor. Really, they are; they’re almost as chocolatey as a brownie, and they’re super thick and chewy without being overly sweet. The very outside edges come out crispy (which I love), but the centers are soft and gooey. They are chocolate cookie perfection! And the very best part is that they’re so easy to make!
How to make this chocolate crinkle cookies recipe perfectly:
- Whisk the flour and cocoa powder together in a small bowl before mixing up the rest of the dough. This ensures no cocoa powder lumps in your cookies.
- When you’re scooping the cookie dough, droop the cookies directly from the scoop into the powdered sugar because the dough is sticky and can’t be handled/rolled very easily. This really cuts down on the mess factor!
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack; they’re really soft when they come out of the oven and need a few minutes to ‘take shape’.
- Adding the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips just magnifies the chocolate flavor of these cookies, but they’re still to-die-for without them. If you have some on-hand, try it!
This chocolate crinkle cookies recipe makes 26 regular size cookies or about 18 large cookies. And it can very easily be doubled too if you need a few more than that. I’ve also frozen the dough and it worked great; just be sure to let it thaw out completely before scooping it, coating in powdered sugar, and baking it up.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for rolling)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, sugar, brown sugar until smooth.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add vanilla and water and stir.
- Add flour mixture, half at a time, mixing fully.
- Fold in chocolate chips (if using)
- Using 1 TBS cookie scoop, scoop dough in balls, carefully roll in powdered sugar, and place on a lined cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Cool cookies on the pan for 5 minutes prior to transferring to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze.