With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
I grew up with very little spice in my life when it came to food. My dad cannot handle anything that has heat or as I like to call it, "flavor". He literally, sat at our dinner table years ago swishing his milk in between bites of spaghetti. Granted, Joe did add in a little red pepper, but it was quite the scene. Nonetheless, I love spice in my food and I love to work with cumin, chili powder, coriander and paprika as you've seen from my Turkey Chili and Enchilada Stuffed Shells. One of our easy week night meals is burritos and we often have leftovers. I love using the leftover burrito meat to make empanadas, but to keep them a little healthier I don't fry them. I make empanada mini pies using pre-made pie crust.
Empanadas Mini Pies
Even if you don't have leftover meat, these empanada pies come together so quickly because of the pre-made pie crusts. Plus, you can adjust the heat to your liking. My favorite part is the individual portions. They're absolutely perfect as a Super Bowl appetizer or party food in general.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can of chopped green chiles
- 1 clove of garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt & pepper to taste
- pre-made pie crust
- enchilada sauce
- Mexican Cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in olive oil until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the ground turkey and cook until it is no longer pink.
- While the turkey is cooking, cut out large enough pieces of the pie crust to fit in a cupcake tray that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake the cupcake trays of pie crust at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Add in the green chiles, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Mix it all together until the meat is coated.
- Once the meat is done, fill the cooked pie crusts in the cupcake trays with the meat mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake for 5 - 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and cooked through.
- Before serving, add enchilada sauce on top.
- Makes 24 empanada mini pies.