Wire baskets are easy and inexpensive to craft and there are so many practical uses for them around the home. In this article I will be explaining how to make a very simple wire basket craft.
These practical DIY wire baskets make great storage ideas. They are sure to look amazing and keep your home organized. Wire baskets are a lovely way to organize your kitchen, craft room or office.
The wire basket I am going to show you how to make in this article is very simple to craft and, because you can buy the materials in bulk, you can make more than one and in any size you like.
What are wire baskets?
A wire basket is a container made using metal mesh material or wire. It is an alternative to a plastic container or wicker basket. Wire baskets are a popular way to organize, store and display items around the home.
Simple metal baskets look chic whilst being practical. With clean and simple lines, a wire basket looks good but also allows air to circulate, making it perfect for storing folded towels, clothes and accessories.
What makes wire baskets a great DIY craft?
Wire baskets are expensive to buy in the stores, especially if you need more than one of them. For instance a metal basket from a store like Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel will set you back between $15 and $50.
Even IKEA baskets will add up when you need multiples. However the raw materials needed to craft wire baskets are relatively inexpensive. Once you have everything you need, it is easy to craft multiple wire baskets and they will look just as good as the ones you can buy.
How can I use wire baskets for storage?
Wire baskets are both practical and decorative as well as being extremely versatile. Wire baskets can be used for all types of organization and storage. You can put them on shelves, hang them on the wall or display them on a desk.
In your bathroom, you could use them to keep your rolled towels or washcloths neat or to keep your cosmetics tidy near your shower. In your kitchen you could use them to organize and display food items and fresh produce.
You can also use wire baskets around the home to arrange books, notebooks, cleaning supplies, linens, clothes, kids toys and even to decoratively hang plants.
How to make DIY wire baskets
- First you will need to decide how big to make your basket and cut out a piece of hardware cloth the right size. For a basket with the finished dimensions of 8" x 8" x 2", you will need a square of hardware cloth that is 11.25" x 11.25". You can however make larger or smaller baskets by varying the size you start with.
- Remove a 2.25" square from each corner making sure to leave the cross pieces sticking out on one edge. You will need these to secure the sides of your basket together.
- Fold the sides of your wire up to form a basket shape.
- Using your long nose pliers, fold the cross pieces of wire over the opposite sides and squeeze to secure your basket sides together.
Tips & Tricks
- You can make any size basket you like by varying how much wire you use to start with. Try making a set of varying sizes to look good on display.
- You could add a decorative handle to the front of your basket by attaching a pipe strap with two brads. Place the pipe strap onto the basket and then push the brads through the holes to attach.
- You could line your wire basket with a piece of material to look good and keep smaller items from falling between the holes in the wire.
- If you struggle to fold your wire straight when making your basket, you can use something like a wooden box to fold the wire over and mold it to the shape.
- For an interesting rustic aesthetic you could wrap craft rope around your basket.
What to put in wire baskets for decoration?
To use wire baskets as decoration around your home rather than organization, you could display plants, soft toys or ornaments. An open book next to a small plant would look lovely in a wire basket on the wall.
How to hang wire baskets on the wall for storage?
Simply hang the basket straight on the wall using two nails at an angle. The holes in the basket will hang from the nails.
How to hang wire baskets on walls without nails?
You can mount a wire basket to a piece of wood for a rustic look, place it on a shelf or hang from a door organizer.
What to put in wire baskets?
Wire baskets are incredibly versatile. They can be used practically to organize and store household items, decoratively to store plants and ornaments or even both.
How to decorate with wire baskets?
Using more than one wire basket in the same area of your home will look aesthetically pleasing. You can line baskets up along a shelf or hang them one on top of the next on a wall.
Think about how you store items in your baskets to get the best look. Try color coordinating the contents or rolling materials to look neat and tidy.