The Summer is here and I'm so excited to be joining you all from That's My Home and Recipes, Food and Cooking. I'm here today to share a fabulous recipe for Homemade Ice Cream.
It has all the flavors of a cake but in ice cream. Plus, once you add the sprinkles, it is totally festive. Pretty easy peasy too! I decorated some ice cream cones and baked some cupcakes also. You could say I kind of went crazy for sprinkles! I even dipped a few Oreos..... yes, it was sprinkled madness in my kitchen the other day.
Why you should make ice cream at home?
If you haven't tried making your own homemade ice cream you are really missing one of the sweetest tastes of summer. It is a great memory maker for your children also. As a child, I remember going to my grandmother's on a Sunday afternoon and the entire family would be there and we would make ice cream.
Back then we had to hand-crank the ice maker but it was totally worth it. We usually made vanilla or orange sherbet. One of my uncles would set it all up, the ice cream canister would be packed in the bucket with lots of ice and rock salt to help melt the ice.
The ice cream makers had a plugin them and the plug would stay in until the ice cream canister was removed. Usually, after all of us, kids had a chance to crank the ice cream, the dasher inside would be removed, the lid put back on and more ice on top for the ice cream to ripen for an hour or so.
The best part was if you were one of the crankers you would get an early taste from the ice cream left on the dasher. I think it was around 1965 when we got an ice cream maker with a motor to churn it. Now I keep a canister ready in my freezer for whenever the urge hits, no ice, salt or mess. I miss the dasher though!
Remember how I told you that it was a sprinkle mess in my kitchen? Now you see why and it was totally worth it. Be sure to check out how I created the Birthday Cake Ice Cream Cones and hopefully your kitchen won't get as messy as mine.
A few tips for making ice cream:
1. If you are using a canister type container, make sure it is thoroughly frozen before you use it. If it is slushy sounding when you shake it, put it back in the freezer until solid.
2. Ice cream mixture should be thoroughly chilled. Make it the night before if you can.
3. I add my add-ins like candies, sprinkles, nuts, etc. after it is finished in the canister. Stir them in with a big spatula or spoon and put the ice cream in a container and freeze.
4. When ice cream is finished churning in the container, put the ice cream in a container for a few hours in the freezer. It will harden up considerably in the freezer.
5. Pre-scoop the ice cream into balls for entertaining a few hours before you need it for faster serving.
Sprinkles Birthday Cake Recipe
- 2 cup half & half
- 2 cup milk divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cup butter flavored cake mix
- 2-3 tbsp sprinkles
- Add the half and half, 1 cup milk, eggs and sugar to a saucepan. Heat up over medium heat until the mixture just starts to steam. Don't let it boil. Whisk or stir the entire time, it is only a few minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the cake mix and remaining 1 cup milk to a bowl. Whisk until it is all combined. Add the vanilla. Stir it all into the hot mixture. Whisk until combined. Put in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
- When mixture is cold, you can make the ice cream according to the directions for your ice cream maker. Freeze the ice cream for several hours before eating. Right before serving stir in the sprinkles.