Whether you are working on spider webs for a fun Halloween project or just love arachnids and want to use them in your artwork, knowing how to draw a spider web is an essential artistic skill. Spider webs are not difficult to draw and once the basic concept is mastered it’s easy to get creative and have some fun with your spider drawings.
Here’s how to draw a spider web step by step.
Before you start your spider drawing, gather all your supplies and organize them on your desk or drawing surface.
For this project you will need:
- Pencil or marker
How To Draw a Spider Web in A Corner
Spiders often make their webs in the corners of walls and doorways, you might decide to draw your spider web in a corner. Here’s how to do it.
1. Find the corner of your paper and mark it with a dot using your pencil
2. Take the ruler and place it in the corner to line it up with the dot and angle it diagonally on the page.
3. Use your pencil to trace the line on the ruler to make the center of the web
4. Place the ruler on the dot again and move it to one side of the original line.
5. Trace the ruler to make a second line.
6. Repeat this process and make lines from the dot that spread out from the corner of the page.
7. Start on one of the outer lines close to the dot and draw a hump or wave between each line. Make sure each wave lines up.
8. Repeat this process to draw humps or waves spaced evenly down the lines to create the look of a completed web.
How To Draw a Spider Web In the Center of the Page
If you want to draw a spider web in the center of a page, you can do so with the same tools and a similar method.
1. Use the ruler to find the center of the page and mark it with a dot using the pencil.
2. Place the ruler vertically on the page making sure it centers on the dot.
3. Trace the ruler to draw a line that is centered and passes through the dot.
4. Place the ruler horizontally on the page and center it on the dot.
5. Trace the ruler to draw a line center on the page and dot.
6. Angle the ruler between the vertical and horizontal lines so it passes through the dot.
7. Trace the ruler to make a diagonal line.
8. Repeat to draw a second diagonal line on the opposite side of the vertical and horizontal lines.
9. Start in the center of the line near the dot and make a wave or hump that connects the sides of each line.
10. Repeat the waves and humps as you move away from the center to the end of the lines. Make sure the waves and humps line up across each line.
How To Draw A Spider
What’s a spider web without an adorable little spider to call it home? If you want to add a spider to your web, follow these simple steps to learn how to draw a realistic spider web with a spider.
1. Choose the spot on the web or page where you will draw your spider.
2. Use your pencil to make a small circle. This will be the spider body.
3. Use the pencil to make a small circle attached to the first circle on either end. This will be the head of your spider.
4. Draw four short lines on either side of the spider body to create the legs.
5. Get creative and add some personality to your spider drawing. You can leave it as a simple shape or you can add more detail such as eyes, a mouth and even hair.
Does the spider web have to be perfect?
No, spider webs are never perfect in nature so there is no reason to worry about making your lines perfect straight or even. If you are wondering how to draw a realistic spider web, rest assured that it’s okay for it to be imperfect!
Does this method work to draw spider webs on things other than paper?
Yes, if you are wondering how to draw a spider web on a cake or how to draw a spider web on your face, you can use the same steps and method above to do so.
How long does it take to draw a spider web?
That depends on how detailed you want to make it. You can draw a simple spider web in just a couple of minutes. If you choose to add the spider and extra details, it can take a little longer. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to draw the spider webs quickly.
Let’s Get Drawing!
If you are ready to create a spooky piece of art, the above steps can help you draw one easily. You can use the same method to make spider webs and spiders for other projects as well. Remember to get creative, have fun, and make your spider web as detailed or as simple as you choose.
Other Great Craft Projects
If you enjoyed this project, be sure to check out some of these other great craft projects.
- Looking for a fun paper craft to work on with your kids? Try this amazing easy farm animals craft that's great for preschoolers.
- One of my personal favorite crafts, particularly for parties, is this homemade magic fairy wand.
- We've got so many more seasonal crafts to do with your little ones in this fun turkey crafts for children guide.