Slow cooked soups are best made on weekends and holidays right? Well no more! Have you jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon yet? I bought one and I love it! Today I'm sharing the most delicious and easy Beef Barley Soup Recipe and instead of taking all day, it's done in less than an hour!
Wintertime is made for comfort food, don't you agree? Hey it's Deb from Bowl Me Over - I wanted to stop by again and share one of my new favorite soups - Beef Barley Soup AND share a bit about my new favorite piece of equipment the Instant Pot.
I'm really not one to jump on a band-wagon, but when something comes along that everyone is singing about, I confess I want to know why. So I bought one. There it sat on the counter until my oven shorted out (and nearly burned the house down on Thanksgiving Day) - you can read more about it here and while you're there, be sure to grab my recipe for Instant Pot Potato Soup with Ham!
Anyway.... 'nuff of that! Let me tell you about this delicious and amazing soup!
This Beef Barley Soup Recipe tastes like it's been slow cooked all. day. long.
But took less than an hour from start to finish!
Who doesn't love that? I mean I don't have all day to spend in the kitchen - I'm betting you don't either!
What's even better is you may even have all of these ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator!
And this is a meal your whole family will enjoy! Rich roast beef, sautéed veggies and tender barley - what's not to love? This easy recipe makes 8 generous servings, so it's easy on your wallet also!
No pressure cooker for Beef Barley Soup? No problem!
- Make Beef Barley Soup in your slow cooker - toss all of the ingredients in (minus the olive oil) set on low, cook 8-10 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the peas at the end.
- Stove top directions for Beef Barley Soup - brown the meat, add the vegetables as described in the directions below, simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender and the barley is cooked thru. Add the peas at the end.
Did you know the handles of the Instant Pot double as a holder for the lid? Be sure to head over to the blog and sign up now for more great tips and tricks for your pressure cooker!
Beef Barley Soup Recipe - Grocery list
- French onion soup
- beef consommé
- beef stock
- frozen peas
Beef Barley Soup Recipe in the Instant Pot
If you love slowly simmered tender beef, barley and vegetables, this soup will give you all the flavor in less than an hour. It's a delicious soup that is made in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 pound round steak cut into cubes
- 1 10.5 oz can French onion soup
- 1 10.5 oz can beef consommé
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms I used a package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup barley
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Remove the fat from the round-steak (if desired). Cut the steak into small cubes. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Peel and dice the carrots and onion. Slice the mushrooms. Mince the garlic.
- Turn the Instant Pot on sauté, when it is hot add the olive oil and round-steak.
- Allow it to sear and brown on side one - about two minutes. Stir and brown on side two.
- Add the carrots and onions along with the Italian seasoning. Stir well to combine. Sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the garlic, stir again to combine.
- Now add the liquid, both soups and the stock. Add the bay leaves and barley. Stir everything to combine.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, then press the manual setting. Set the timer to 20 minutes. Top with the lid and seal. Turn the valve to seal.
- When the timer is done your meal is complete. Do a quick release, stir and serve!
Debra Clark blogs over at Bowl Me Over where she shares her love of all things in a bowl! Soups, stews, salads, Buddha bowls, ice cream you name it! All are delicious and full of flavor. Most are quick, easy and healthy too!
If you liked this Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup recipe you might also like….
Root Beer Pot Roast, Seriously - Restless Chipotle
Best Ever Mushroom Soup - Bites of Wellness