This beefy chili is easy to make and super flavorful. Full of warm chili spices and excellent flavor! Chili con Carne is easy to make in your pressure cooker! Follow my easy steps below to make this delicious recipe, and grab my Instant Pot cheat sheet.
Instant Pot Chili
I'm getting together with colleagues for a retreat this week. In Chicago. In January! What the heck we were thinking?!!!
The high is supposed to be 13 degrees.
Now I used to live in Green Bay and Minneapolis, but let's get real.... I've been in California for 15 years and I've gotten used to the warm weather and sunshine! Yup... pretty sure I'm going to freeze!
Boy is this chili going to taste warm, filling and delicious! And if you couldn't already tell, I LOVE chili. Some of my all time favorites include this White Bean Turkey Chili and yummy Hot Dog Chili Sauce. It's safe to say I haven't met a chili that I don't like!
What makes this chili even better that it's Instant Pot Chili made right in your pressure cooker. Love that!
Instant Pot Chili Recipe
This is Chili con Carne - meaning chili with meat. No beans, but beef braised in warm chili spices, tomatoes and beer. This is one delicious meal!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chili
- chuck roast
- beef broth
- canned tomatoes
- crushed tomatoes
- spice mix
- chili powder
- dry mustard
- smoked paprika
- cocoa powder
What gives chili con carne its flavor?
The flavor comes from all the chilis. Though it may seem like there's a lot of hot spice, the spices in this chili are warm, not hot! It's perfect for cool days and cold nights! Cumin gives it a rich earthy flavor and the smoked paprika makes it tastes like it's simmered all day long! The cocoa powder balances everything out and makes for a perfect combination of flavors!
Chili con Carne
Steps to make Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Mix all of the spices together and set aside
- Remove excess fat from the meat, then cube the roast, put in a ziplock bag, add a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the spice mix, massaging it into the beef.
- Dice the onion, mince the jalapeños and garlic.
- Set the pressure cooker on sauté, add oil and sauté the beef browning on all sides. Remove when browned and set aside.
- Next sauté the diced onions and jalapeños until soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Turn the pressure cooker off.
- Pour in the beer and with a wooden spoon, scrape the brown bits off the bottom.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine.
- Seal the pressure cooker, set timer to 30 minutes and valve to seal.
- Natural pressure release at the end.
Instant Pot Chili Con Carne Recipe
Instant Pot Chili Con Carne
- 3-4 lb. chuck roast
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeños diced
- 1 14.5 canned whole tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 beef broth
- 1 12 oz. beer recommend a lager beef
- spice mix
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp corn meal
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp salt more to taste at the end of cooking.
- Prepare the spice mix, mix everything together and set aside
- Remove any excess fat from the meat, then cube the roast. Place in a large ziplock bag, top with a tablespoon olive oil, then sprinkle the spice mix over the meat, massaging it in well.
- Peel and dice the onion. Slice the jalapenos in half, removing ribs and seeds if desired, mince. Mince the garlic.
- Set the pressure cooker to saute, add 2 tablespoon oil and saute the beef in a couple of batches, browning on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove all the meat when browned and set aside.
- If necessary, add additional oil to the pressure cooker and saute the diced onions and jalapenos until soft, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute. Turn the pressure cooker to off. Pour in the beef and with a wooden spoon, scrape everything off the bottom of the pressure cooker, removing all the browned bits.
- Now add the remaining ingredients - beef broth, canned tomatoes and pureed tomatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, set on manual (high) pressure and set timer to 30 minutes. Set valve to seal.
- When the timer goes off allow to natural pressure release. Stir well, serve and enjoy!
- Serve with optional toppings, corn chips, sliced jalapenos, sour cream, lime wedges, sliced radishes, shredded cheese.