Last Updated on
When I think of a fresh pesto, I think of my canvas shoe planter herb garden and dream of Spring. I’m willing Spring here even after losing our Spring break because of the number of snow days we had. I created a fresh Kale and Spinach Pesto that is packed full of flavor and perfect over pasta, on a sandwich or as a lead ingredient in a main course dish.
Kale & Spinach Pesto
To start the Kale and Spinach Pesto you’ll need to blanch the kale and pesto leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes to bring out the color. Drain the kale and spinach leaves and squeeze the extra water out of the leaves. The next step is one of my absolute favorite things about making a pesto. I get to use my food processor. I love the ease of it and that’s is super quick to clean up. I often feel like I just don’t get an opportunity to use it the way that I should.
I was able to simply transfer the Kale and Spinach Pesto from the food processor to a mason jar to refrigerate for whenever I need an extra kick in a meal.
- 8 oz kale & spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup soy nuts lightly salted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop up the kale and spinach leaves. Place in boiling water for 3 minutes to bring out the bright green color in the leaves. Drain the leaves and squeeze the excess water out of the leaves.
- Place the leaves in the food processor. Add the 1/3 cup of the soy nuts, garlic and lemon juice. Pulse everything.
- Use the spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor. Parmesan cheese and salt & pepper. While pulsing again drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer the pesto to mason jar and keep refrigerated.
You may also like…