This keto meatloaf recipe is simple, on a budget and easy to adjust according to your preferences. Cut this bacon-wrapped meatloaf in thin slices and use it to create a tasty meal in just a few minutes: for example, try it with some balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts or a simple fresh salad. All together, you’ve got yourself a delicious low carb meatloaf meal!
What makes this Keto Meatloaf so great?
What I like about this keto meatloaf recipe is that it’s perfect for easy weeknight dinners when you are trying to maintain a healthy, low carb lifestyle. And since the overall flavor of this keto turkey meatloaf is quite delicate, it’s extremely versatile compared to other similar recipes. For example, I’m always thinking about how to make a meatloaf without breadcrumbs. By substituting the breadcrumbs for almond flour, you are still able to get the loaf to come together with a healthier and lower carb alternative!
This gluten-free keto meatloaf is actually made with turkey bacon. The most obvious choice when it comes to bacon is pork, but with this recipe, I am changing things up a little to make it a little bit healthier. It’s always fun to experiment with ingredients and flavors that are not as common!
A meatloaf (even in its veggie version) is usually a crowd-pleasing recipe and the perfect way to use some vegetables that aren’t as fresh anymore, or stale bread or several other bits that you may have forgotten at the bottom of your fridge. It’s a great quick preparation that can become really useful for busy moms; the most important thing is having a good base to rely on and let your creativity guide you! With this low-carb meatloaf, we are using minced turkey breast as the base. Yum!
How to prepare this low-carb meatloaf
If you want to keep this meatloaf as a low-carb option, you can rely on eggs and almond flour to keep together all the different ingredients. The exact amount of almond flour to use in this recipe depends on the other ingredients, so it’s better to add it at the end and check the consistency of the meatloaf step by step. The flavors in this keto meatloaf come mainly from the combination of spices as well as the double tomato concentrate and sautéed veggies. Make sure you don’t skip the preparation of the onions because they turn out incredibly tasty and it takes just a few minutes!
How to make the sauce for this keto turkey meatloaf
The sauce to add on top of this meatloaf couldn’t be any simpler. It’s just a mixture made of double tomato concentrate and olive oil but it really makes all the difference. You can also add some extra spices if you want: paprika, black pepper or turmeric will all work well; or go for dried oregano or marjoram for a more Mediterranean-inspired dish. Enjoy!
Recipe ingredients at a glance
- Minced turkey breast
- Turkey bacon
- Double tomato concentrate
- Almond butter
- Chili peppers
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Almond flour
- Paprika, garam masala, salt
- Fresh cream (optional)
Recipe Instructions (full printable recipe below)
Step 1: Prepare the vegetables. Cook the finely chopped onions and chili peppers in a pan with olive oil and soy sauce until they are sufficiently browned.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix the minced turkey, eggs, almond butter, double tomato concentrate, vegetables, spices and fresh cream. Start combining in the almond flour and when you reach the right consistency, you should be able to form a nicely-shaped meatball with your hands.
Step 3: Shape into 3 small meatloaves and place them into the baking trays or loaf pan with a bit of olive oil to ensure the loaf doesn’t stick to the pan.
Step 4: Wrap each meatloaf with the slices of bacon and brush with a well-mixed sauce made of tomato concentrate and olive oil (such a simple sauce!)
Step 5: Cook in a preheated oven at 350°C for approx. 45 minutes, checking a few times to ensure the meat is properly cooked
Step 6: When the meatloaf is ready, remove the tray from the oven, wait a bit and then transfer to a plate before slicing and eating!
Tips to make a great Keto Turkey Meatloaf
- When making a meatloaf, especially if you don’t use bread, it’s always important to keep an eye on its consistency. You want to find the right balance between a meatloaf that actually holds well together and something with a tasty soft texture (because nobody likes a dry meatloaf, right?). In this low-carb meatloaf recipe, I decided to use almond flour to help me with the consistency but you could substitute another type of flour if you choose. Try to add the flour in small portions and avoid to add too much of it.
- This recipe makes 3 small loaves of meatloaf but you can always do 1 larger single loaf instead. The cooking time will be longer so just be sure to always ensure the meat is well cooked.
How to safely cook a meatloaf with bacon
When it comes to meat, it’s important to check its temperature to ensure you bring to your table a meal that is safe to eat. For a turkey meatloaf, ensure it’s well cooked through and the internal temperature is at least 160° degrees. The exact cooking time depends on the size of your meatloaf and the oven you are using, so it’s always better to have a meat thermometer: it’s a kitchen tool that doesn’t cost a lot and it will become really handy for many different preparations.
How to reheat this bacon-wrapped meatloaf
Place the slices of meatloaf on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and cover them with some aluminum foil to prevent them from drying up. You could also use a bit of olive oil on the bottom of a pan and avoid using parchment paper.
- Large Bowl
- Non-stick pan
- Baking pan or baking tray
- Meat thermometer
- 18 oz turkey breast minced
- 7 oz turkey bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup double tomato concentrate
- 1/3 cup almond butter 100% almonds
- 1 red onion medium-sized
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp almond flour use between 3-5 tbsp as needed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional to taste)
- 1 tsp cream (optional)
- Add the finely chopped onions and chili peppers to a preheated non-stick pan with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook until golden brown. Carefully add the soy sauce and cook for a few more seconds, until there is no liquid left. Set aside and wait until they cool down before mixing them with the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix the minced turkey, eggs (whisked), almond butter, double tomato concentrate, vegetables, spices and fresh cream. Combine all the ingredients together using a spoon, then check the consistency of your meatloaf and start adding the almond flour in small portions. When you reach the right consistency, you should be able to form a nicely-shaped meatball with your hands.
- Shape the 3 small meatloaves and place them into the baking trays or pans (use approx 1 tablespoon of olive oil to ensure the meatloaf doesn't stick to the bottom of your pan/tray).
- Wrap each meatloaf with the slices of bacon and brush with a sauce made of 1 teaspoon of double tomato concentrate and 1 tablespoon of olive oil (mix them with a whisk or a fork until you get a smooth sauce).
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C for approx. 45 minutes. Check a few times the internal temperature of the meatloaf: it needs to be at least 70°C (160 degrees F) to ensure the meat is properly cooked.
- When the meatloaf is ready, remove the tray from the oven, wait a few minutes, then transfer the meat on a plate. Wait 15-20 minutes before cutting it into slices.
- If you need to pay particular attention to the amount of salt in your food, go for a double tomato concentrate without adding salt and low-sodium soy sauce.
- You can add some spices to the sauce used to brush the meatloaf. Paprika, black pepper or turmeric will work well. Dried oregano or marjoram are great options for a more Mediterranean-inspired dish.
- You can always do 1 single large meatloaf instead of 3 small. The cooking time will be longer compared to the one written in the recipe; just be sure to always ensure the meat is well cooked.
- If you want to test the flavor of the meatloaf before cooking it, you can take 1 teaspoon of the mixture and cook it in a pan; taste it and adjust the amount of spices according to your preferences.
- Remove the seeds from the chili peppers if they are too spicy. You can add more than 1 chili pepper if you like.