Updated December 2020
These decadent Oreo Cupcakes have a rich chocolate cake with Oreo cookie chunks and chocolate chips baked right inside, and then are topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting and more Oreo cookie crumbles. Follow my tips below to make this amazing, chocolatey Oreo cupcake recipe.
About These Oreo Cupcakes
Oreos were by far my favorite cookie as a kid. Who can resist the crunchy, chocolatey cookie in contrast with a smooth and creamy filling? It’s like heaven in every bite. In addition to loving Oreo cookies, I also have a cupcake obsession, hence leading me to develop the best Oreo Cupcake recipe from scratch.
It seems only right to combine the two into one lucious dessert that everyone will love. These Oreo Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are too good not to share—and this way I don’t eat an entire batch of cupcakes all by myself!
If your New Year’s Resolution was to eat healthier, I’m afraid this Oreo Cupcake recipe won’t help with that. That said, these cookies and cream cupcakes, aka Oreo Cupcakes, are the perfect dessert for any get-together. They are also a fabulous treat for anyone who loves Oreos!
Oh, they are so good. And what makes them extra special is the frosting, which is actually less like frosting and more like a fluffy cheesecake filling that tastes just like Oreos.
Keep reading to find out exactly how to make Oreo Cupcakes.
How Do You Keep Oreo Cupcakes Moist?
These chocolatey Oreo Cupcakes are super moist and rich. The way I like to keep them moist is by using sour cream right in the batter. The tang plays very well with the chocolate, but sour cream also keeps the cake light and fluffy with a melt-in-your-mouth sensation. This is by far the best Oreo Cupcake recipe from scratch!
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
Ingredients For The Cake:
- 1 box of triple chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- I box unprepared chocolate pudding
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 Oreos
Ingredients For The Oreo Frosting:
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ container of Cool Whip
- More Oreos
How To Make Oreo Cupcakes
1. In a large bowl, combine all the Oreo cake ingredients except for the Oreos and chocolate chips (you’ll add them in a minute).
2. Add the chocolate chips and crumbled up Oreos and mix well.
3. Pour batter into cupcake liners in cupcake tin.
4. Bake cupcakes and then allow them to cool completely while you make the frosting.
5. Make your fluffy cream cheese frosting by combining all frosting ingredients in a large bowl. Beat using a mixer (but a whisk works, too) until fluffy and homogeneous, and place in the fridge to set for a bit.
6. After the Oreo Cupcakes have completely cooled, frost them with the decadent cream cheese frosting and top with more Oreo cookie crumbles for garnish.
Watch our recipe video for further instructions!
Tips & Tricks For Making Oreo Cupcakes
- Fill the cupcake tins 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way full so they don’t overflow when baking.
- Allow cupcakes to completely cool before frosting them.
- When frosting the cupcakes, poke a hole using a frosting tip to get the frosting into the cake. It’s my secret tip and extra yummy that way!
- If you want even more delicious Oreo goodness, you can add cookie crumbles into the frosting while you mix it and then top with more cookie crumbles over the frosting. Plus, you can add a whole or half Oreo as a topper.
- If you don’t have a pastry bag then just use a spoon and guide the frosting around the cupcake.
- Note: I’ve modified this Oreo Cupcake recipe recently to halve the Cool Whip, from a whole container to 2/3rds of a container. I feel like a whole container is just too much, and this way the frosting will be less runny. But feel free to adjust as you see fit. The cupcakes will be yummy regardless!
- This recipe makes A LOT of Oreo cupcakes. 36 is what I usually get from one batch. Feel free to half the recipe if it’s too much.
- Try not to eat the whole batch in one sitting 🙂
Need More Delicious Cupcake Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Rainbow Sherbet Cupcakes are always a favorite in my house
- My favorite Halloween or Game Day desert are these Milky Way Cupcakes
- This amazing Twix Cake has all the flavors of your favorite candy, with a twist!
- For your next 4th of July celebration, try these Patriotic Cupcakes
Can You Make Oreo Cupcakes With Vanilla Cake?
You can make these Oreo muffins with any flavor of cake mix you hav;, however, I prefer chocolate for the richness and because it complements the Oreos well.
Can I Use Other Flavors Of Oreos In This Oreo Cupcake Recipe?
For this Oreo Cupcake recipe, I like to use classic Oreos because they are so nostalgic. But if you like any other flavor of Oreos, you can tailor the recipe to your favorite one.
Why Do I Need To Wait To Frost The Cupcakes?
Frosting warm cupcakes will melt the frosting and Oreo crumbs right off of the cake. It’s best to pipe the frosting when the cupcakes are totally cool to avoid any melting.
Can These Homemade Oreo Cupcakes Be Made Vegan?
Oreo cookies themselves are actually vegan already, and it is possible to make Oreo Cupcakes vegan. You can always substitute vegan yogurt for the sour cream, use egg replacers, and use vegan cream cheese for the Oreo frosting. Please note that this Oreo Cupcake recipe has only been tested using the listed ingredients below.
How Can I Save Some Calories In This Recipe?
By replacing your whole eggs with just egg whites, you will save some calories by excluding the yolks. You can also use light sour cream and light cream cheese; however, I prefer the flavor of the full fat ingredients.
Best Oreo Cupcake Recipe
For the cupcakes
- 1 box triple chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 box unprepared chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 Oreos finely crumbled
- 1 package cream cheese softened
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2/3 container Cool Whip (use 2/3rds and not full container)
- 4 Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the cake mix, oil, unprepared pudding, sour cream, eggs, and water. Then add in chocolate chips and finely crumbled Oreos. (I use about 6 but feel free to use more!)
- Bake in cupcake liners for about 18 mins. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting.
- Using a mixer (or whisk), beat the cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar while continuing to mix the cream cheese mixture.
- On a low speed, add in the Cool Whip. You may need to allow the frosting to set up in the refrigerator while the cupcakes continue to cool. Make sure the cupcakes are all the way cool before adding frosting.
- Put your frosting in a pastry bag, or you can use a spoon if you don't have one. Stick the point of the pastry bag into the cupcake and squeeze a little frosting into the center. You will see the cupcake puff up.
- Then frost the cupcakes like normal and sprinkle with crushed Oreo pieces (about 4 crushed Oreos should suffice). If you'd like, stick a piece of Oreo in the frosting for a little flair and extra cookie goodness.