Looking for fun and crunchy snack that reminds you of sunny day ice cream treats or maybe an adorable treat for a St. Patrick's Day party? How about one that is healthy, too - whole grain, naturally gluten free, easily made vegan, and isn't loaded with sugar? You and your kids are going to love making and munching on Mint Chocolate Chip Glazed Popcorn.
What makes these Mint Chocolate Chip Popcorn a great snack idea?
I don't know about all of you, but I am so sick of winter. As we speak (or as I write), my hubby is getting over a nasty cold, I have a fever and chills, the baby is teething and sniffly, and the three-year-old has a massive case of cabin fever. We can't open our back door, we have nowhere to put anymore snow if we have to shovel the driveway again, and our gas bill is through the roof. When it comes to food, I am totally over pumpkin and apple and hearty soups and chilis. I want steaks on the grill, summer salads and ice cream.
Although let's be honest, I am not above sending my hubby out to pick me up a sundae, even when the snow is falling. In fact, on Valentine's Day, after the kids went to sleep, my mom stayed with them while he and I went out for frozen yogurt. But for those of you that may not be so inclined to make yourselves even colder than you already are, I thought I'd come up with a bright and cheery, healthy snack inspired by a popular ice cream flavor - mint chocolate chip!
I love the light, fresh flavor and the little pops of chocolate. While I'm not going to turn down chocolate covered popcorn, or even popcorn-inspired cupcakes (a la Peanuts & Cracker Jacks), not only is this glazed version healthier, but it also stays crunchy for days… if it lasts that long. The only reason I still had popcorn sitting around after a week and a half was that I was working on this recipe and Glazed Mexican Chocolate Popcorn at the same time, and each one took me a couple of attempts. And guess what, I ate some of the chocolate one last night - still crunchy!!
- Popped popcorn
- Honey (should be able to use agave or maple syrup for strict vegan)
- Unsalted butter or coconut oil
- Mint extract
- Green food coloring (optional)
- Mini chocolate chips
How to make Mint Chocolate Chip Popcorn?
Popcorn is a whole grain, I coat it with a glaze with just a little honey and butter (or agave and coconut oil, if you want a vegan option), and when you use mini chocolate chips, a little goes a long way (though feel free to use more if you want to amp up the chocolate factor). So this Mint Chocolate Chip Glazed Popcorn is a treat you can feel good about giving your kids. I did add a couple drops of green for coloring, just to give it that fun mint chocolate chip, but that's totally optional, if it's not how you roll.
So make up a batch for an after school snack and dream of sunny days. Or double it and fill little bags or maybe you can even find little leprechaun gold pots at the dollar store for your kids' class parties for St. Patrick's Day. Whatever you do, just try this easy, fun, and yummy popcorn recipe!
Mint Chocolate Chip Glazed Popcorn Recipe
- 4 c popped popcorn see Note*
- 3 Tbsp honey should be able to use agave or maple syrup for strict vegan
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
- ⅛ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp mint extract
- a few drops green food coloring optional
- 1 Tbsp or more, if desired mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a small pot, combine honey and butter or coconut oil over low heat, and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, mint extract and food coloring (if using)
- Drizzle mixture over popped popcorn and gently stir until evenly coated. This may take a couple of minutes to ensure the glaze is evenly distributed.
- Spread popcorn into a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and stir, then spread back out into a single layer.
- Return to the oven and bake in 3 minute intervals, stirring each time until the popcorn is nearly dry. You will probably need two or three more 3 minute intervals. Be careful to avoid burning the popcorn.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a couple minutes, then use a spatula to push the popcorn pieces close together. Carefully sprinkle the chocolate chips over the popcorn, trying to keep most of it on the popcorn and not falling through and landing on the baking sheet (some will, which is okay). The chips will slightly melt and adhere to the popcorn.
- Allow to cool completely, until the chocolate chips have solidified. Popcorn will continue to harden as it cools. Store in an airtight container, if it lasts that long.
Tips and Tricks:
*You can pop your own in the microwave or air popper without any oil or butter, or if you use microwave popcorn, use the plainest kind you can find, usually labeled “Natural”. I like this technique.
For more easy and amazing snack ideas to munch on check out these Parmesan Truffle Fries and these Parmesan Bread Bites!
Unquestionably believe that that you said. Your favorite
reason appeared to be at the internet the easiest thing to take note of.
I say to you, I certainly get annoyed at the same time as other
people think about issues that they plainly don't realize about.
You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also defined
out the entire thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
Thank you for another informative web site. Where else may just
I get that type of info written in such an ideal
method? I've a challenge that I'm simply now working
on, and I have been on the look out for such information.
I am genuinely grateful to the owner of this site who has
shared this great post at at this time.
! Howdy from Netherlands Appreciate your kinds remarkable putting up!
I really savored analyzing it, you may be a perfect writer.I will make sure
to take note of your website about Alfuzosin and will in most cases happen in the near future.
Best diaper bags 2015
Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely
digg it and in my view recommend to my friends.
I'm sure they'll be benefited from this web site.
elektrische zahnbürsten test
Really no matter if someone doesn't be aware of then its up to other people that they will help, so here it takes place.
ColleenB. ~ Texas
Thanks for sharing your popcorn recipes. I gotta try this Mint variety.
I make what is called jello popcorn for a Christmas snack. I normally will make a batch of the green jello popcorn as well as the red jello popcorn. It's sweet and very adictive
Maggie Unzueta @ Mama Maggie's Kitchen
I have a sad addiction to popcorn. I make it almost every night. I think I know what popcorn recipe I will try next. 🙂
Jessi @ Practically Functional
That popcorn mix looks great! Stopping by to pin this and let you know I featured it on my blog today!
The Better Baker
Oh how I LOVE this simple recipe. VERY nice! Glad you shared at Weekend Potluck. Did I miss seeing a link back in your post to our party? (It makes you eligible to be featured). Please come back again soon.
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life
What a delicious popcorn mix!!! I'm loving that this is a glazed popcorn!
Love it! I'd love it if you would share this at my link party http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/2014/02/worthwhile-wednesdays-6.html
Stopping by from Cast Party Wed. Oh, I wish I had a bowl of this right now!!
That looks so fun and yummy!
Popcorn is my favorite snack and I love this - thanks for linking to Marvelous Monday this week - pinning to my party board!
Where is the recipe? I'd love to give this a try come St Patrick's Day.
Oh my goodness. Thank you Kelli. It's coming in now.
Thanks so much. I wondered if there had been a strange glitch. 🙂