This Tex-Mex Lasagna is a Southwestern spin on a family favorite, with a healthy twist!
What makes this Tex-Mex Lasagna a great dinner recipe?
Hi, again friends! I’m Allie with Miss Allie's Kitchen, and I'm so glad to be sharing on The Melrose Family; it's exciting to be here! Today I want to talk about mash-ups. Is there anything truly better than a great mash-up?
Combining two flavors, components and ideas and helping them marry so well, you wonder how the two could have existed singularly in the first place? No, we're not talking about Beyoncé and Jay-Z, we're talking easy, peasy and flavorful dinner solutions.
I'm all about creating healthful and flavorful meals; you shouldn't have to make compromises to nourish your family. In fact, if you need even more ideas check out this recipe for Pork Carnitas Crock Pot Tacos or my favorite Taco Pie. Anyway, back to Lasagna. Tex-Mex Lasagna, that is.
Southwestern flair adds interest to any meal and you'll be happy to know there's plenty layered in this masterpiece. I'm going to let you in on a little secret; this dish couldn't be easier.
Oh, and we're replacing traditional lasagna noodles with potatoes so this is completely gluten and grain free!
All you're going to do is brown meat with some classic taco spices, layer it between slices of potato and your favorite salsa, bake, and top with a light sprinkling of cheese. That's it.
I'm so grateful to be able to share this recipe for Tex-Mex Lasagna with you on The Melrose Family today & I'd LOVE it if we could "meet" again! Head on over to check out Miss Allie's Kitchen & I promise I'll be sharing more life-friendly healthy & whole food recipe inspo. What does that mean, you ask? I create delicious meals that fit into your busy schedule, please your picky eaters’ palate, make your wallet happy, and help you to fit into your favorite skinny jeans.
Tex-Mex Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium, white onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 medium sized russet potatoes
- 1 jar all natural salsa
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat with olive oil.
- Dice the onions and peppers and add them to the hot pan.
- Cook the onions and peppers for 3-5 minutes, or until they soften and the onions turn translucent.
- Add the meat and spices to the pan.
- Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes until meat is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, scrub, dry and slice the potatoes into thin rounds. They should be about 1/16-⅛ inch thick. Lay 1 layer of them down in a casserole dish, mine is roughly a 10x13 inch oval dish.
- When the meat and veggie mixture is cooked, layer ⅓ of the mix into the dish and cover the potatoes.
- Cover with ⅓ of the jar of salsa. Repeat this process twice more and place the "lasagna" into the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle with the cheese, and place back into the oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are soft.Let cool, slice and dig in!
Hello, Jenny! We enjoy a nice lasagna, and your Tex-Mex version looks fantastic! I love all of the flavors, and I'm sure it tastes fantastic! Can't wait to try it—next it's on our must-do list..
So glad to hear this! Let us know how it turns out when you make it!
Matt @ The Bluenosers
I've never been the biggest fan of lasagna, but I love tex-mex. I reckon this could be a winner in our household!
2 Sisters Recipes
HI Jenny! We love a good Lasagna and your Tex-Mex looks delicious! Love all the flavors, bet it tastes amazing! Can't wait to try it- next on our list of recipes!!