Last Updated on
Taco pie is perfectly seasoned meat layered with all your favorite taco toppings, then baked in a flaky, buttery pie crust for a comforting weeknight meal. Your family will devour this easy taco pie with pie crust made from simple ingredients that comes together quickly. Follow my tips below for making the best taco pie, and different options for crusts.
For this recipe you will need: pie crust (homemade or store-bought), ground beef, onion, salsa, pepper, frozen corn, black beans, taco seasoning, and your favorite taco toppings.
If you’ve been around here awhile you may have noticed quite a few Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes on here. That is because tacos are one of our family’s favorite foods. They are so easy to make, and by the end of the meal, everyone is happy and has a full belly. Plus, they hit on almost every food group, which makes them healthy in my book. But when you turn one of your favorite dishes into a pie? Hello, magic. You really can’t go wrong with taco pie.
It was a usual busy afternoon when I had this idea for making this Mexican-inspired pie. Yes, I normally am all about meal planning, but sometimes you get inspiration or a craving that switches it up. So I checked my fridge and hallelujah, we had all the ingredients that would make a perfect taco pie. Score. Another win for this recipe is it is something I know my family will eat, and if you deal with picky eaters, you know how important it is to make something you can be sure they will eat. Sometimes it is hard to want to try new recipes if you aren’t sure everyone in the family will eat it.
Luckily, this recipe was a winner all around.
Personally, I love making baked dishes because while the food is baking in the oven, I can do something else productive (like doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen up) rather than just standing over the stove. Then, when the meal is ready, my kitchen is basically clean and after-meal clean up is so much faster.
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provides means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. We only link to products we use and love or would use.
Products you may need:
You don’t need too many fancy tools to make this recipe. Pie plate (this one is adorable), rolling pin (if making homemade pie dough), skillet, knives, and cutting board. If you use store-bought pie dough that is already molded into a disposable dish, then that is one less thing you need, and hey, it makes clean up so much easier.
Taco Pie Toppings
- Sliced black olives
- Sour cream
- Green onions and or/cilantro
- Squeeze of lime or some lime zest
- Lettuce or finely shredded cabbage
Pie Crust Options
There are a few different options for pie crusts. You can use your favorite store-bought pie crust that is already made into pie shell, or just the pie dough sheets that you have to place into a pie plate yourself. If you need a gluten-free pie crust, then try this recipe for gluten-free pie crust, or there are many great gluten-free store-bought options available these days. You could also make this taco pie with crescent rolls.
Tips For Making Taco Pie
- Use your favorite salsa. I chose to use a mild green salsa
- If you like it extra spicy, add your favorite hot sauce.
- If beans aren’t your thing, just leave them out and add extra corn.
- For extra crunch, top with crushed tortilla chips.
- Make the filling ahead of time and store in the fridge to make this pie even faster. You may have to bake it a tad longer.
Need more Mexican recipe inspiration? Try some of my favorites:
- Steak Fajitas are great weeknight meal.
- These are my favorite Fish Tacos With Corn Salad – the corn salad is everything.
- Chicken Fajita And Quinoa Skillet is a great gluten-free option.
How To Make Taco Pie
Make your favorite pie crust (store-bought or homemade) according to directions.
In a skillet, brown ground beef with onions and drain any extra liquid.
Add corn, beans, peppers, salsa, taco seasoning, and salt to ground beef and onions. Pour mixture into pre-baked pie crust.
Top with cheese and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until pie is bubbling and cheese starts to turn golden in color.
Allow to cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve with your favorite taco toppings.
Taco Pie Recipe
Homemade taco pie is an easy weeknight meal filled with your favorite Mexican flavors baked into a buttery and flaky pie crust.
Liked this recipe? I would love if you came back and gave it a 5 star rating! And of course, pin it!
- 1 pie crust baked according to instructions
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup beans I like black beans
- 1 pepper diced
- 2-3 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- toppings see options for toppings above
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Make pie crust according to package instructions.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and cook onions. Drain any extra liquid out.
- Add in salsa, frozen corn, beans, diced pepper, taco seasoning, and salt to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour taco mixture into pre-baked pie crust. Top with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese starts to golden.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes, slice and serve with your favorite toppings.
Have you tried making a taco pie? What are your favorite taco toppings?