Thai red lentil soup is a must-make recipe as the temperatures start to lower and the leaves start to fall from the trees.
What makes this Thai Red Lentil Soup a great weeknight meal?
This Thai red lentil soup is a simple vegetarian soup that is ready in just 45 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal. While this soup packs a ton of flavor from the red curry paste and chili paste, the red lentils are the star of the show. They are simmered until tender and then pureed into a creamy and flavorful soup that's the perfect appetizer or main course entree. Serve it with a small side salad and a piece of fresh artisan bread. You'll be begging for seconds!
Happy Thursday Melrose Family readers! Justine from Cooking and Beer here to share a comforting and warming soup that's perfect for fall. Speaking of fall. Can you guys believe it is actually autumn!? I certainly can't, but I can appreciate the fact that with fall, comes comforting foods. This Thai red lentil soup is just that: super comforting.
I know I totally touched on the subject last month, but I wanted to reiterate that comfort food doesn't HAVE to mean fattening, bad-for-you food. This Thai red lentil soup is proof of that.
Soup is one type of recipe that I never tire of, which might be why there are so many recipes for soup on my blog. I tend to gravitate towards recipes that taste like you've been cooking them all day when really they take almost no work at all. Soup is definitely one of those types of recipes that you can impart a TON of flavor, with almost no work.
That is an extreme "win" in my book.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Red curry paste
- Red chili paste
- Lemongrass paste
- Red lentils
- Vegetable stock
- Unsweetened coconut milk
- Soy sauce
- Lime juice
How to make this Thai Red Lentil Soup?
There's not a whole lot you need to know about this recipe. It really is super simple. Onion and red bell pepper are sauteed in olive oil until tender. After garlic, curry paste, chili paste, and lemongrass paste are stirred in and fragrant, red lentils and vegetable stock are added. Cook those lentils until they are soft, and then puree the heck out of it. Coconut milk, soy sauce, and lime juice add major flavor and the perfect amount of creaminess. A simple garnish of sliced sugar snap peas, fresh cilantro, and a drizzle of oil sends this soup right over the edge.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Find the recipe below and have a wonderful day!
Tips and Tricks:
Lemongrass paste can be found in the produce section of most grocery stores. It is normally found with the boxed herbs. It is a great substitution for lemongrass stalks, but if you can't find the paste, you may use the stalks while you simmer the lentils. Just remember to remove them before you puree.
Thai Red Lentil Soup Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & stemmed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp red chili paste
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 1 ¾ cup red lentils
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and red bell pepper. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic, red curry paste, chili paste, and lemongrass paste. Cook, stirring continuously, for about a minute. Add the red lentils, vegetable stock and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Transfer the soup to the pitcher of your blender in batches and puree until smooth. Be careful with this step, and cover the blender with a kitchen towel and hold down with your hand. A lot of pressure builds up in that blender when hot liquid is added. Alternatively, you may use an immersion blender.
- Transfer the soup back to the stock pot. Stir in the coconut milk, soy sauce, and lime juice. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper where needed.
- Serve the soup garnished with sliced sugar snap peas, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy warm!