Chicken Taco Soup screams comfort food! Especially, when it's been downright frigid throughout the country. Luckily, taco night will take on a whole new level of comfort with this easy and delicious Chicken Taco Soup.
What makes this Chicken Taco Soup a great fall dinner idea?
Who doesn't love a big bowl of hot, hearty soup? It's pretty much the perfect comfort food, right?
When it gets as cold as it's been lately, we practically survive on soup! The Hubs loves to hear that we are having some sort of soup for dinner when he gets home on these freezing days we've been having! We love to curl up on the sofa with a big bowl of hot soup and just have a nice relaxing evening.
This Chicken Taco Soup is one of our family's favorite soup recipes! It's very easy to make, coming together in under 45 minutes. It doesn't require an insane amount of ingredients and it's customizable to fit our tastes!
- Olive oil
- Ground chicken
- Sweet onion
- Whole kernel corn
- Jalapeno peppers
- Kidney beans
- Pinto beans
- Ranch salad dressing & seasoning mix
- Taco seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Optional toppings - I used diced avocado & tortilla strips
How To Make Chicken Taco Soup:
- In a large pot or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, corn, jalapenos, chicken broth, seasonings to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the flavors have melded together.
- Serve hot, topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, and tortilla chips, if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you'd rather have Taco Soup with beef instead of chicken - just switch out the meats (and the broth! Beef broth would probably taste better than chicken!)
- Leave out the beans if you're not a fan or switch out to a different kind of bean that your family enjoys.
- Throw in some extra veggies or even leave out the meat to make it a Veggie Taco Soup!
- Add some cheese or sour cream to the toppings for an extra burst of flavor. It's so easy to make this soup your own!
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 can 15.25 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 can 15 ounces kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can 15 ounces pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 envelope 1 ounce ranch salad dressing & seasoning mix
- 1 envelope 1.5 ounces taco seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- optional toppings - I used diced avocado & tortilla strips
- In a large skillet, cook the ground chicken & onion until no longer pink and the onion is soft & translucent; then drain.
- Add the chicken & onion mix to a large stock pot. Add in the remaining ingredients (minus the toppings) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe inspired by: eMeals.com
Want even more soup recipes? Here are some recipe you may like..
What is chicken tortilla soup made of?
Chicken tortilla soup is a hearty soup made with shredded chicken, onions, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, black beans, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
It is typically served with tortilla strips or chips and optional toppings like avocado, sour cream, and shredded cheese. The ingredients are simmered together to create a flavorful and satisfying soup that is perfect for a cozy meal.
Can I make chicken taco soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, chicken taco soup can be easily made in a slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors are melded together.
Can I use leftover cooked chicken in chicken taco soup?
Yes, leftover cooked chicken can be used in chicken taco soup. Simply shred the cooked chicken and add it to the soup in place of the raw chicken. This can be a great way to use up leftover chicken from a previous meal.
Can I freeze chicken taco soup?
Yes, chicken taco soup can be frozen for later. Allow the soup to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw the soup in the fridge overnight and then warm it up on the stove or in the microwave.
What to serve with chicken taco soup?
Chicken taco soup can be served on its own as a hearty and filling meal. But if you want to add some additional flavors and textures, you can serve the soup with some crispy tortilla chips on the side for scooping and dipping.
Can I make chicken taco soup vegetarian?
Yes, chicken taco soup can be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add additional vegetables like bell peppers or zucchini to make the soup more hearty and flavorful.
How can I make chicken taco soup spicier?
To make chicken taco soup spicier, you can increase the amount of chili powder or add some cayenne pepper to the soup. You can also use a spicier variety of diced green chilies or add some hot sauce or diced jalapenos to the soup.