Last Updated on
When it comes to cookies, I’m pretty much an expert! So you can trust me completely when I tell you that these thin and chewy maple sugar cookies are the bomb!
I had a really tough time deciding which recipe though, because to be totally honest, I have about three-gazillion favorites; I know, it’s it’s borderline ridiculous, really. But, I finally decided these thin and chewy maple sugar cookies were the obvious choice. Because it’s fall and because, well, you need them.
I’ve baked a whole-heck-of-a-lot of cookies in my day; everything from simple sprinkle chocolate chip cookies to festive pumpkin ginger molasses cookies and I never, ever get sick of cookies. Nope. I do; however, run out of ideas and I have to get creative when I’m brainstorming new recipes though. Actually, that’s how these thin and chewy maple sugar cookies came to be!
Sugar cookies happen to be my favorite of the cookie varieties; I don’t know why, I’m just a plain Jane kinda gal I guess. That and I truly appreciate the simplicity of a good sugar cookie.
But…you can always improve on a good thing right? Precisely. So if I were to add maple syrup and a sweet maple glaze to my plain old sugar cookies, they would become something even better, wouldn’t they? You bet they would!
Wa-la! With just a few changes and a few added ingredients, it’s a whole new cookie! And just so you know, these little cookies have the best texture; they’re chewy in the center and crispy on the outside. They also have just the perfect hint of maple in the frosting, which is hands down my favorite part.
As I mentioned above, this is a small-batch recipe (which most of mine are, it’s kinda my thing – wink), so it only makes about 2 dozen cookies per batch, but if you’re feeling really hungry, you can easily just double the recipe and make more!
If you have a list going for all the things you want to bake this fall (me!), don’t forget to add these thin and chewy maple sugar cookies, they’re sure to become a favorite!
Thin and Chewy Maple Sugar Cookies
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white unbleached flour
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbls 100% maple syrup
- 1 1/2-2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until smooth.
- Add maple syrup, baking soda, cream of tartar, and sea salt and stir to combine.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour, half at a time, and mix until fully combined.
- Scoop dough onto baking sheets using a 1 TBS cookie scoop.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Let cookies cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- While cookies are cooling, in a small bowl whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
- When cookies are cool, drizzle glaze over the top of each cookie
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to harden.
- Store in an airtight container.
Hi there! I’m Kristine the cookie lover, avid baker, and photo taker behind the food and lifestyle blog, Kristine in between. I believe life is short – enjoy the in between moments and eat more dessert! Stop by and say hi sometime!