Today I’m serving up classic comfort food, Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles. Tender egg noodles and mushroom soup mixed with albacore tuna, combined with shredded cheese, sliced mushrooms and fresh peas. The casserole is baked until hot and bubbly. Finishing it under the broiler makes the top is golden brown and crunchy. It’s a mouthwatering meal your family will love!
Hey it’s Deb again from Bowl Me Over, stopping by to share another delicious meal! You’d think since it’s mid April I’d be grilling up some good eats for you, but even here in Fresno it’s been cold and rainy. Frankly that got me to be craving an easy meal. Nothing complicated and this certainly fits the bill!
Truthfully, I was feeling sorry for myself too. In March I had eye surgery. A tube that was inserted into the tear duct a few years ago needed to be adjusted. The surgery went well and yesterday I went back to the doctor for a routine recheck, only to I need surgery again. Ahhhh…. So you see? Comfort food was definitely in order. I moped around the house for a couple of hours until I broke out my Mom’s famous quote…. “It is what it is!” Whining about it wouldn’t change anything so I buckled down.
Everyone needs an easy meal like this to put together because it’s all about pantry staples. It’s a great meal when you don’t know what to cook and don’t feel like going to the store. Look in your pantry & frig, I’m sure you’ll have everything you need!
Ingredients for Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
- egg noodles
- mushroom soup
- bread crumbs
What, no bread crumbs? Substitute with potato chips, crushed pretzels or a can of fried onions. I didn’t have bread crumbs either but dug thru the freezer and found some croissants that had been in there for ahem… a while. Into the food processor they went and they were fabulous!
This is an easy tuna casserole with egg noodles recipe – here are the steps
- boil the noodles
- mix together the soup, milk, mushrooms and tuna.
- fold in the noodles and cheese, pour into a baking dish.
- bake in the oven, finish under the broiler
How easy is that? A pantry meal that’s delicious and doesn’t break the bank – gotta love that!
Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
Baked tuna casserole with egg noodles is true comfort food and easy to make.
Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
- 6 oz. egg noodles
- 1 5 oz. cans tuna packed in water, well drained
- 1 7 oz. can sliced mushrooms well drained
- 1 10 1/2 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil egg noodles until just al dente (the package called for 7-8 minutes I boiled them for 6) in salted water. Drain well
- Butter the baking dish using 1 tablespoon butter.
- Drain the tuna and flake. Drain the mushrooms. Shred the cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix the mushroom soup with the half and half.
- Add the noodles, tuna, mushrooms, peas and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together well and pour it in the buttered casserole dish.
- Top with bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining butter. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Craving more comfort food – here are a couple delicious meals you’ll find on the blog. Chicken and Dumpling Soup, step by step directions to make Risotto in just 30 minutes from start to finish and the Ultimate Egg Salad – all quick, easy meals and all are delicious!
If you like this Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles recipe you might also like…
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole: Low Carb – Lowcarb-ology
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole – Simply Whisked