Creamy cucumber salad is perfect for those summer picnics, BBQs and even pool parties. It takes 10 minutes to assemble and serve. Just chop the cucumber, onions, herbs, and top with mandarin orange wedges. Follow my tips below to make the perfect cucumber salad.
To make this recipe, you will need Greek yogurt, cucumbers, mandarin oranges, tarragon, oregano, red onion, salt and pepper.
Summer is here and that means endless picnics, outdoor parties and grilling! I have to admit that these parties are the only reason I look forward to the hot, sticky days of summer! And today I'm sharing this twist on the classic cucumber salad. It has a fresh, and slightly sweet creamy, a sauce made with Greek Yogurt. Your whole family is going to love it.
Hello everyone, Rini here from HealingTomato.com to bring you this awesome summer salad recipe. I love salad recipes that come together in minutes and can be enjoyed by everyone.
Today's creamy cucumber salad only takes 10 minutes to assemble. The hardest part is cutting the cucumber which is not hard at all.
The traditional cucumber salad recipe calls for mayonnaise which is not bad. However, I am not a huge fan of it because the salad needs to consumed quickly before the mayo goes bad.
Instead, I went with Greek yogurt which was turned out to be even better than I thought. It made this the best cucumber salad ever made! I think it comes out better than if I used regular yogurt.
What's the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt for creamy cucumber salad?
Greek yogurt is denser than regular yogurt because of one tiny difference in the process of making yogurt. After the yogurt is made, the whey is strained out of it. Whey is what gives yogurt its liquid form, but, it doesn't exist in Greek yogurt. This is why Greek yogurt is thicker and also contains more protein.
How long does creamy cucumber salad last?
This salad will be delicious for about a week in the refrigerator. If left outside, it will last for about about 2 hours, so, keep it cold until the last second.
What is the best herb to use in this creamy cucumber salad recipe?
Most people love using fresh dill in a cucumber salad. It makes the cucumber taste amazing and have a heavenly aroma. For my recipe, however, I decided to go with fresh oregano and fresh tarragon.
I had a whole bunch of oregano left after I made my fingerling potatoes recipe and tarragon was left over from my Greek couscous salad. Sometimes, I will put left over herbs into a compound butter recipe. This time, however, I thought they would be great in a creamy salad.
When combined, these two herbs will give dill a run for its money! They taste so good together and when put into yogurt, they have a heavenly aroma!
So, use fresh oregano and tarragon for this recipe and you won't regret it.
For this recipe, I cut my cucumber into large rounds. In hindsight, I think I should have cut them into quarters so that they are easier to eat.
Tips For Making Creamy Cucumber Salad:
- Cut cucumber rounds into quarter so they are easier to eat.
- Mix the Greek yogurt with the fresh herbs right after they are chopped to prevent the herbs from browning.
- If you have time, make this about 30 minutes ahead and put it in the fridge for half and hour. This way, the herbs will have a chance to marinate with the yogurt.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
Cut the cucumber into thin triangles (Cut the rounds into 4 pieces) and place in a large glass bowl
Add the mandarin and red onions to the bowl
Add the salt and pepper
Chop the tarragon and oregano before adding to the bowl
Add the yogurt immediately to prevent the herbs from browning
Mix everything really well
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
If you like this Creamy Cucumber recipe you might also like…
- Cucumber Dip Recipe
- Cucumber Tomato Quinoa Salad
- Skinny Broccoli Salad.
- Mexican Street Corn And Cucumber Salad - Simply Whisked
- Steak And Rice Salad - A Blossoming Life
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
Creamy cucumber salad takes 10 minutes to assemble and serve. Just chop the cucumber, onions, herbs and top with mandarin orange wedges.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 1 Cucumber Medium Sized
- ½ cup Mandarin Oranges I used the canned wedges
- 1.5 cup Greek Yogurt That's about two 5.3oz containers
- 2 stems Tarragan finely chopped
- 4 stems Oregano finely chopped
- ¼ Red Onion jullinned
- 1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper optional
- Cut the cucumber into thin triangles (Cut the rounds into 4 pieces)
- Place in a large glass bowl
- Add the mandarin and red onions to the bowl
- Add the salt and pepper
- Chop the tarragon and oregano before adding to the bowl
- Add the yogurt immediately to prevent the herbs from browning
- Use 2 wooden spoons to mix everything really well
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve
What's your favorite summer salad recipe?
This post was updated January 2019.
I love how easy this salad is to make and all of the bright fresh flavors, perfect for summertime!