Labor Day weekend is right around the corner and I like to think of it as the end of Summer and to me nothing says Summer like Watermelon. I had to make sure that I mixed up a batch of cupcakes that Riley would like this time around. You all know that she has a bit of a sweet tooth and absolutely no qualms about telling me like it is. I recently made Blueberry Lemonade Cupcakes, which after biting into she looked at me like Gordon Ramsay and stated, "Something's different and I don't like it." She was right about one thing. I changed up the frosting and it was a bit more grown up than her taste buds could handle, which is why I was a bit nervous to try Watermelon Cupcakes, but can you think of anything that says Summer more than watermelon? Luckily, Riley liked the cupcakes. Although, I'm pretty sure it was largely due to the chocolate chips on top!
I love fruit, but I'm not a huge watermelon fan so I didn't want the cupcakes to be overpowering with the flavor of watermelon so I made a white cake for the batter. I added red gel food coloring and chocolate chips to make it look like a watermelon with seeds.
For the frosting I used a Watermelon Buttercream Frosting that I found at From Apples to Zucchini.
I love that once you bite into the cupcake you can see the "seeds" inside. The great thing about the icing is that it definitely tastes like watermelon. It just screams "Summer"!
- White Cake Ingredients (Better Homes & Gardens 12th Edition Cook Book):
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk
- Watermelon Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ⅔ cup of watermelon pulp
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- Directions for White Cake Mix:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add miniature or chopped up chocolate chips to batter, as well as red gel food coloring.
- Bake at 350 F in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes for cupcakes.
- I always check my cakes using the ole tooth pick comes clean then it's done routine.
- Directions for Watermelon Frosting:
- I tried beating the butter, shortening and pulp together and had a terrible time with it.
- I would highly recommend, beating the butter and shortening together first.
- Then add the pulp and mix it in.
- Add each cup of sugar to the mix, while mixing in between each cup.
- I added a bit of red gel food coloring to give the color more of a watermelon vibrant red.
- Once the cupcakes are iced add the chocolate chips to the top.