If there is one food staple in our house that we could not live without, I'd have to say it is the potato. I'm pretty sure it stems back to my Irish roots. I whipped up this Cheesy Potato Casserole, which I altered to give it a bit more cheesy goodness and crunch from the one I found over at Marvelous Recipes.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
The best part of this recipe is that it combines two of Riley's favorite foods. The potato of course and CHEESE. I swear she must eat at least 4 slices of cheese everyday. She even has a slice first thing in the morning with her granola bar. I call her my little mouse and she smiles every time. Now, keep in mind that Riley is three so any time I introduce a new food to her, I'm usually met with some resistance. When I told her that this one had cheese in it. She stopped mid sentence and took a huge bite. Her words were, "This is so good!" and that was in between trying to shovel another big spoonful into her mouth.
She wasn't quite sure what to make of the onions in the beginning, but even those had her smiling in between bites. There's nothing better than introducing a new side dish that wins over the picky toddler right from the get go. Now, if I could only convince her that everything I make has cheese in it. You win some, you lose some right?
- 5-6 medium size russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Country Crock Spread
- 8 oz (8 slices) American Cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- French's Fried Onions
- Boil potatoes and onion until the potatoes are soft.
- Combine milk, heavy cream, Country Crock Spread, American Cheese slices, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a saute pan.
- Cook until the cheese is melted.
- Drain potatoes and onions and place in a casserole dish.
- Cover with cheese mixture and top with French's fried onions.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
If you're looking for another great potato side, be sure to check out my Pulled Pork Baked Potato. It's a real doozy!