Since we are in full swing for holiday entertaining, as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias®, I created Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes which will make the perfect holiday dessert. As you've seen from my Mason Jar Peppermint Cupcakes and Peppermint Mini Bundt Cakes I have a thing for peppermint lately. I decided this time I wanted to try something other than red velvet cake though. I decided to go with Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes with a little surprise inside that make these cupcakes out of this world and the perfect Christmas Recipe.
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
I love recipes that are easy and quick, which is why I rely heavily on Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix. Personally, I'd rather spend more time on decorating my desserts than making things from scratch and Betty Crocker makes a vast array of choices for cake mixes that I'm able to easily find at my local Price Chopper. For these Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes I went with Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix.
My secret ingredient for these cupcakes were Peppermint Oreos. If you haven't seen them yet, keep an eye out because they are amazing! I used half a bag as crumbled cookie crumbs for the bottom of the cupcakes. The cookie crumbs gave the cupcakes an unexpected crunch and the peppermint just added to the flavor of the icing.
The icing was similar to the icing used in my Almond Joy Cupcakes, but instead of Coconut Creme Coffee Creamer, I used Peppermint Mocha Creamer. Once again, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! The creamer adds the perfect hint of flavor to the icing without being over powering.
The finishing touch was smashed peppermint candies, which you most likely saw Riley making if you follow me on Instagram. She had a fabulous time smashing them and I made sure that she didn't smash one of our kitchen tiles in the process. If you're not following me on Instagram, you can here so that you can get all the behind the scenes pictures.
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 ⅓ Cups Water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ bag of Peppermint Oreos crushed
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup Peppermint Mocha Creamer
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake trays with cupcake liners.
- Crumble ½ bag of Peppermint Oreos and place in the bottom of each cupcake liner to give the cupcake a cookie bottom.
- Mix the Chocolate Fudge Cake mix with 3 eggs, 1 ⅓ cups of water and ½ cup vegetable oil.
- Place the cake mix on top of the crumbled oreos in each cupcake liner.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 - 24 minutes.
- While the cupcakes bake beat the butter and then add in the creamer, cream and confectioners sugar.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the smashed peppermint candies.