Hey Jenny thanks for sharing another yummy recipe from Bowl Me Over, I appreciate the opportunity to stop by! Today I want to share with you one of our go-to meals - a Skinny Taco Salad Bowl. I love this meal, it's one we enjoy here at the house all the time!
What makes this Skinny Taco Salad a great Mexican meal?
Fresno is well known for having GREAT Mexican food! But if you're like me, going out can be hard on the budget and um....well hard on the figure too! 😀 So when I get a craving, this is a bowl we really enjoy. In fact my 13 year old niece is visiting us this week and she loved it too, so I'm gonna tell you this is definitely a family friendly meal!
How to make Skinny Taco Salad?
It's simple to put together. I use ground turkey or chicken (keeping it light!) and season it with my homemade Taco Seasoning mix. (On a side note, this taco seasoning mix is great! You're controlling what goes in it and what you're feeding your family. You can make it as spicy/mild as you want. Saves $'s making your own and you probably have everything you need in your spice cabinet!)
Of course you can substitute with a packet of prepaid taco seasoning. Next, chop some lettuce - for this salad I like using a nice crunchy romaine! Drain and rinse black beans.
Cherry Tomatoes - just sliced in half.
Red onions chopped.
Two ears of fresh corn - kernels removed.
Add a small handful of tortilla strips or chips to give it great crunch! Lastly, the dressing. It is super easy - Greek yogurt mixed with your favorite salsa!
How easy is that?
Of course there are many other additions you can add like olives, guacamole, jalapeños and sour cream, but like I said at the beginning - this is a Skinny Taco Salad Bowl, quick too! I'm just keeping this bowl easy, lean and delicious!
This meal easily makes four servings. Since there's only two of us here I'll serve this one night, wait a day and serve it again or if you're looking to splurge, you have everything you need for a great pile of nachos on Friday night!
Skinny Taco Salad Bowl Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup water
- 1 15oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 ears corn (substitute one cup frozen corn, thawed) kernels removed
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 8 oz container plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup salsa your favorite
- crunchy tortilla strips
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground turkey or chicken, drain. Add ½ cup water and the taco seasoning. Increase the heat until it's bubbly. Stir well to incorporate the seasoning. Remove from heat.
- While the meat is cooking, chop the lettuce and divide between four bowls.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, dice the onions, rinse the black beans really well and allow them to drain. Remove the kernels from the corn. Add these ingredients to each salad bowl equally, topping with the taco meat.
- Mix the yogurt and salsa together. Top each salad with a healthy dollop of dressing and salsa.
Love this bowl? Here's another tasty option! This Greek Buddha Bowl is super light and healthy, really delicious! Don't forget to head over to the blog for more yummy recipes!
Leave a Reply