A very simple and hearty Thai Yellow Curry which is the perfect vegan dinner recipe for the whole family. Its a one-pot recipe which means there is very little cleanup required. Use simple ingredients to make this curry and enjoy it any time of the week. Top it with coconut and Spanish peanuts.
If you are like me, you are always struggling to put interesting and healthy meals on the table for your family.
Some days, I am just not inspired to make anything elaborate because I had a stressful day. Its one of those days when everything that could go wrong, does go wrong and I am putting out fires all day.
Sure, I can just grab some pizza or Chinese food on the way home. I don’t have to tell you how the faces of family members light up when I walk into the door with a giant pizza box in hand. In my home, we are huge fans of takeout Indian food. Its always a temptation because I have an amazing Indian Restaurant just two doors down from me. I can smell amazing curry recipes wafting into my workplace all day.
If I had it my way, my family would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at that Indian restaurant.
Since its not practical to eat out everyday, I try to find easy go-to recipes that I can make quickly and easily after a looooong day. My Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is one of my all time favorite.
My new go-to recipe is this Vegan Thai Yellow Curry!
Thai Yellow Curry Shopping List
- coconut oil
- cumin seeds
- cauliflower florets
- snow peas
- broccoli slaw
- yellow curry powder
- coconut milk
One of the best things about this thai yellow curry recipe is how little effort it takes to make. All I have to do is put the ingredients into a pan and let them cook by itself. While its cooking, I take a few minutes to do some quick meditation or spend time with a family member.
Instead of using regular peanuts in this thai yellow curry recipe, I went with the smaller variety of peanuts. They are known as the Red Skin Spanish Peanuts and very common in Indian cooking. I prefer using them in cooking because they are lighter.
I also added snow peas at the last minute to this thai yellow curry and it was delicious. But, you can easily omit them because the recipe already has baby sweet peas.
Thai Yellow Curry Tips
- Yellow curry is usually always combined with coconut milk.
- There are other variations of yellow curry such as gold curry and elephant curry. Both are spicier versions than yellow curry and elephant curry does not use coconut milk.
- When using yellow curry paste that is store bought rather than immediately adding the paste into a pot with coconut milk, first saute the paste in oil for a few minutes in order to release flavors.
- Next whisk in the coconut milk to the sauteed yellow curry paste.
- Then add your protein or in this case your vegetables.
- You can make this Thai Yellow Curry with a protein.
- Try substituting other vegetables to change up the flavors, such as bean sprouts or white cabbage.
So, what’s your favorite go-to recipe on busy weeknights?
Thai Yellow Curry Recipe
Thai yellow curry is a quick and easy one-pot meal that has tons of fresh vegetables and is vegan.
Vegan Thai Yellow Curry
Quick and Easy One-Pot Vegan Thai Yellow Curry
For the Garnish
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Skin Spanish Peanuts
- 1/4 cup Sweet Garden Peas
- 1/2 cup Sweatened Coconut Flakes
- Cilantro Optional
For the Curry
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1.5 cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1/4 cup Snow Peas Optional
- 2 cups Broccoli Slaw
- 2.5 Tbsp Yellow Curry Powder Adjust to your spice tolerance
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder Optional
- 3.5 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
Prepare the Garnish
Start by preparing the garnish. In a medium pan, add all the ingredients (except the cilantro)
Saute for about 2 minutes on medium heat, making sure that you don't brown the coconut
Remove from heat and set it aside
Prepare The Curry
In the same pan, add the oil, cumin seeds, ginger and cauliflower florets
Saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes until the cauliflower florets are slightly brown
Add the remaining ingredients, except the coconut milk and oil
Let them saute on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add the coconut milk and water
Turn the heat down slightly and let it simmer for 25 minutes
Turn off the heat, add the sauteed garnish and cilantro
If you liked this Thai Yellow Curry Recipe you might also like….