Last Updated on
This is a sponsored article, but all opinions are mine.
It is definitely winter here in NY and when the cold weather comes in I have a tendency to rely heavily on comfort food. Personally, I love a good soup recipe, but my husband wants something a bit heartier. He’s a huge fan of my Mini Empanada Pies as an appetizer on game day so I thought I would lose the pie crust and go with my daughter’s favorite flour tortillas in this Enchilada Casserole Pie.
If you love the idea of meal planning but not sure where to start, join the Join the 10 DAY MEAL PLANNING CHALLENGE!
Enchilada Casserole Pie
This casserole comes together quickly and is a perfect weeknight meal. It largely gets it’s flavor from the Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce, which makes this homemade casserole so much easier. Plus, I love knowing that the can seals in freshness, flavor and nutrition, naturally. My girls do not like spicy food yet so I always go with the mild flavor. It still gives it great flavor and it is the perfect amount of of sauce for the casserole. Did you know that American’s waste anywhere from 15-20% of fresh vegetables. I am unfortunately part of that waste at times because I never seem to get all the fresh vegetables used. Luckily, using canned foods eliminates this.
The key to this casserole is to let it sit for at least five minutes once it comes out of the oven. This gives the ingredients a chance to set so that when you cut through it you actually end up with a solidified slice of the pie. If you cut it too early you’ll end up with a droopy mess and it will definitely lose it’s pie shape.
A quick dollop of sour cream finishes this slice of enchilada casserole pie off perfectly. You can find more information about the how Cans Get You Cooking from their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Youtube.
Enchilada Casserole Pie
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 6 flour tortillas 8 inch
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Saute the onion and the garlic for about two minutes and then add in the ground turkey until it is cooked through.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander and Italian seasoning and mix through the meat.
- In a pie pan pour just a bit of the enchilada sauce so that there's a think layer on the bottom so that the pie won't stick to the bottom.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red kidney beans, green chilies, cilantro and enchilada sauce and heat through.
- Place a flour tortilla on the bottom of the pie dish that already has a thin layer of the enchilada sauce.
- Scoop enough of the turkey mixture to cover the tortilla and top with Mexican cheese.Repeat the layers until the pie is filled.
- Bake at 400 for 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
You may also like…
Or you might like some casseroles from some of my friends…
Tamale Pie by Your Homebased Mom
Amazing Chicken Pot Pie by PinkWhen
Chicken & Spinach Enchilada by The Pinning Mama