Easter wreaths are a wonderful way to decorate your home at Easter time, adding beautiful pastel colors and Easter excitement. In this article I will be explaining how to make an easy homemade Easter wreath craft with your kids. DIY Easter wreaths are fun to make and this Easter wreath craft is sure to get your kids excited for the Easter season.
What is an Easter wreath?
An Easter wreath is a circular Easter themed decoration that makes the perfect front door accessory at Easter time. You can use this Easter wreath as décor in other parts of the home such as in an entryway, or as a show stopping centerpiece for your Easter table. Making a homemade Easter wreath is a great way to get in the Easter Spirit with your children.
What do you put in an Easter wreath?
The easy homemade Easter wreath is perfect for small children to make, and is made from easy to find materials such as cardstock. There are endless possibilities for materials you can add to your Easter wreath including painted eggshells, plastic or chocolate Easter eggs, ribbons and flowers.
When you have finished making this Easter wreath craft, you could come up with your own Easter wreath ideas for other areas of your home! If you love wreath crafts also check out this DIY Patriotic Wreath.
How to make an Easter wreath
- Step 1: The first step to making your DIY Easter wreath is to take your paper plate and fold it in half. Now carefully cut away the center so you are left with just the outside of the plate with a circular hole in the center.
- Step 2: Next, put your paper plate circle to one side and use your markers to draw round your Easter egg shaped cookie cutter onto the card stock. You will need to do this around 8-12 times depending on the size of your paper plate and the Easter eggs. If you don't have an Easter egg shaped cookie cutter then you can draw your egg shapes free hand.
- Step 3: Now you need to carefully cut out your Easter egg shapes and decorate each one using your marker pens. You can decorate each egg differently. If you have more than one child this makes a great opportunity to get everyone involved in making the Easter wreath.
- Step 4: Once you have decorated all of your eggs, you are going to stick them around the edge of your paper plate circle with glue. Overlap them as you go, making sure the whole paper plate is covered.
- Step 5: For the final step, take your ribbon and tie a loop around the top of your Easter wreath for hanging. Tie the ends in a pretty bow at the top of your wreath.
Tips & Tricks
- You can stick colored paper onto your eggs to decorate them rather than use marker pens if you would rather.
- You could wrap a ribbon around the paper plate to decorate it and add less Easter eggs around the edge.
- If you have a younger toddler, you can draw and cut out the shapes before you begin the craft and have your child help decorate the eggs with crayons or finger paints.
- PVA glue will also work for sticking on your eggs, you will just need to leave your wreath to dry before you hang it.
- You could use pastel colored cardstock instead of white to make your Easter egg shapes.
- If you can't find a paper plate then you can cut your circle from cardstock instead.
- To make a family Easter wreath, have everyone in the family decorate an egg and then stick them all on the same wreath. Enjoy!
How do you make an Easter ribbon wreath?
To make an Easter ribbon wreath you can buy various Easter ribbons and pastel colored ribbons and then tie lots of different sized bows before sticking them all together on your wreath. For a simpler idea, you could wrap a ribbon around your circle to cover it completely and then stick an Easter themed decoration on top.
How do you make a dollar tree Easter wreath?
All the materials I have used for my Easter wreath craft are low cost and can be found in any Dollar Tree or Dollar General store.
How to make an easter egg wreath?
You could stick lots of small colored plastic, or chocolate eggs on your wreath to make a more 3D looking Easter wreath. Alternatively, for a more natural looking Easter egg wreath, you can paint blown egg shells and carefully stick these on your wreath.
How do you make an easter bunny wreath?
You can adapt the wreath I have shown you by adding cut out bunny ears to the top and a pom pom tail in the center at the bottom. You could also add an Easter bunny head to the top so it looks like the bunny is holding the wreath. It is possible to buy Easter bunny wreath kits that come with Easter bunny ears and bottom to add to your wreath.
How do you make an Easter wreath with a wire frame?
A wire frame is a great alternative for making an Easter wreath. It will be stronger than card stock and can be used to hold things on to the wreath. First you will coil your wire into a circle shape, twisting the wire around itself as you go. Then once you have your twisted wire frame you can add decorations such as plastic flowers by poking them through the wire.