Last Updated on
Make your favorite campfire treat into a decadent s’more brownie! These s’mores brownies start with a rich fudge brownie that gets covered in chocolate, roasted marshmallows, and crushed graham crackers with melted butter. They are a sweet, gooey treat with a bit of crunch. S’more brownies are super easy, but look and taste like a million bucks – they’re everything you love about s’mores with chocolaty brownies. Follow my tips below to spiff up any box brownie mix.
I have a little secret for you… these are made from a box. Gasp! I know. But when you dress them up all fancy with extra chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers, no one will know they’re not totally homemade.
For this recipe you will need: box brownie mix (plus the ingredients it calls for), chocolate chips, marshmallows, graham crackers, and butter.
Brownies are one of my favorite desserts, and even though my husband isn’t a huge fan, he still willingly tried these and agreed that they are awesome – s’more brownies are ridiculously chocolaty, ridiculously gooey, ridiculously marshmallow-y, and ridiculously delicious. You eat them knowing they are definitely not healthy, but you just can’t help it because they are so dang good. It’s all about balance, right? And what is fall without a good s’more with roasted marshmallows?
Even though we are trying to eat a more plant-based diet (check out this recipe for my favorite healthy Greek buddha bowl), I believe in moderation, and for the special occasion (and maybe even the extra special day that I like to call “Saturday”) I will whip these up. They are so simple, but just look at that fudgy, gooey brownie. How could you not crave these?
One of the hardest things about being a food blogger is the kids. Having to patiently wait to try the delicious treats being prepared is hard. Avery popped her head into the kitchen while I was taking photos of these delectable s’mores brownies and said “ohhh what did you make for me, mom?!” It was hard keeping all the little hands out of these, and once they were finally ready to be devoured, oh buddy, devoured they were.
These s’more brownies are a new family favorite.
How To Make Box Brownies Better
Some of these are general brownie-making tips that will help with any brownie recipe, but sometimes store-bought brownie mixes can be jazzed up a bit. So here are a few tips to do that.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Just mix until combined. Less mixing equals less gluten formation, which means a better brownie.
- Don’t over bake. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness. It should come out mostly clean with a few crumbs on it. If it’s overbaked it will come out completely clean and will most likely be very dry. If the brownies are underbaked, the toothpick will come out with too much raw batter.
- Add in chocolate, candy bars, or nuts to the boxed brownie mix.
- Top brownies with chocolate or candy bars or marshmallows.
- Add in extracts, like vanilla, peppermint (careful – a very little goes a long way), or almond extract, or add espresso powder (about 2 tsp is enough) to add different flavors.
- Top brownies with caramel sauce.
- Frost brownies with your favorite frosting.
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provides means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. We only link to products we use and love or would use.
How To Make S’mores Brownies: Step By Step
Make brownie mix according to its directions and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the mix. Be careful not to over stir. Bake 3-5 minutes less than what the box says. While baking, crush graham crackers and mix with melted butter.
Take brownies out of the oven with a few minutes left and still a little gooey. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and then cover with a good amount of graham crackers.
Top brownies with marshmallows and place back into the oven for the remaining 3-5 minutes, until marshmallows start turning golden brown. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 30 minutes before enjoying.
To slice, it’s helpful to rinse off the knife with warm water when it becomes too sticky and gooey.
FYI, this is not a clean dessert by any means. But are s’mores or marshmallows ever?
S’more Brownies Recipe
- 1 box box brownies plus it's ingredients
- marshmallows enough to cover the brownies
- 1 cup chocolate chips - divided
- 6-8 graham crackers crushed
- 2 tbs butter
- Make box brownie mix according to it's directions and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the mix. Bake 3-5 minutes less than what the box says. While baking, crush graham crackers in a gallon sized plastic bag with a rolling pin. Mix crushed graham crackers with melted butter.Take brownies out of the oven with a few minutes left and still a little gooey. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and then cover with a good amount of graham crackers.Top with marshmallows and place back into the oven for the remaining 3-5 minutes until marshmallows start turning golden brown. Remove from oven, top with more graham crackers if desired, and allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
Check out these decadent dessert ideas…
- These chewy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies are amazing.
- Try these delicious Chocolate “Peanut Butter” Crumb bars
- Oreo Cupcakes are always a favorite
- If you need a grain free dessert try these Peppermint Fudge Shortbread Bars
Do you love s’mores?