This easy Spinach Arugula Salad is quick to put together, using cheap and flavorful ingredients.
Toss it together to make a quick and refreshing meal for your family. Or, arrange the toppings to create an eye-catching salad that will impress guests and taste great with your main course!
What Makes Spinach Arugula Salad a Great Summer Dish?
The peppery arugula adds flavor to an otherwise bland salad. You’ll find a wide variety of Spinach Arugula Salad recipes online.
Our recipe includes bacon, red onion, tomato, and a sprinkling of Mexican blend cheese to create a pleasing flavor combination that is perfect if you have never tried arugula before.
- Fresh whole leaf spinach
- Fresh arugula
- Cherry tomatoes
- Shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- Red onion
- Balsamic dressing (or dressing of your choice)
🔪 How to Make This Spinach Arugula Salad
1. Slice and fry the bacon until cooked. Drain on a paper towel to absorb the excess grease. Prepare the bacon an hour or two before you’re ready to make the salad so that it will be cold.
2. Wash and rinse the spinach, arugula and cherry tomatoes. Grab a bowl and add the spinach. Then add the arugula.
3. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and line them along the edge of the bowl.
4. Add the cooled bacon on top of the greens.
5. Sprinkle some cheese on top of the bacon.
6. Slice the red onion. You can go fancy and make a pattern with several slices, or you can just lay the slices on top.
Top with the dressing of your choice we have used the balsamic dressing here and voila! Your Spinach Arugula Salad is ready.
For more amazing Summer Salad recipes check out our easy Mediterranean Salad and this colorful Christmas Pasta Salad!
💭Tips for Making a Spinach Arugula Salad
1. If you’re pressed for time, you can pick up pre-washed produce at your local grocery store.
2. Prepare any ingredients that you need to cook or prepare ahead of time. If you’re serving this salad for a party or a family get-together, perform the prep in the morning and put everything in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the salad.
3. If you want to make a homemade dressing that you found online never tried before (ex. barbecue sauce vinaigrette), perform a taste test after you make the recipe to see how strong it is before you add it to the salad.
This is especially important if the recipe calls for strong tasting ingredients, such as vinegar or peppery spices. If the recipe has too much vinegar, it may overpower the salad.
4. You can freeze any leftover spinach or arugula that you might have. For arugula, wash it with water and vinegar. Then immerse the leaves in olive oil to preserve its flavor. For spinach, you can blanch the leaves to preserve their flavor.
Also check out this easy and amazing 7 layer burrito recipe that makes a perfect meal for busy weeknights!
1. What can you put in an arugula spinach salad?
You can add a variety of meats and produce to create a tasty salad. Mandarin oranges, apples, and strawberries are very popular ingredients. Sliced almonds, avocados, and carrots are also a good choice.
Bacon or deli meats will add “sticking” power (not to mention flavor) so that you will feel satisfied after you’ve eaten the salad.
2. Does arugula taste good with spinach?
Many people enjoy the combination because the arugula offers a spicy flavor that’s similar to pepper, which contrasts with the bland taste of the spinach.
3. Is arugula as healthy as spinach?
While arugula contains five times more B5 than spinach, it doesn’t contain as much Vitamin A, E, and K. It is listed as #7 on Plant-Based Cooking because of its flavor and anti-inflammatory properties.
4. What makes arugula spicy?
Arugula gets its peppery taste from its high sulfur content, which contains compounds that are called glucosinolates. Age is also a factor. Young plants have a milder taste. Middle-aged plants have the peppery taste, while the older plants have a more bitter taste.
5. What can I serve with this spinach arugula salad?
You can pair Spinach Arugula Salad with chicken breast, salmon, or steak.
6. Can I make this ahead?
Yes, you can prepare it in the morning and serve it in the evening. If you want to make it a day ahead of time, store the ingredients separately to prevent wilting.
Spinach Arugula Salad
- 1 package fresh whole leaf spinach
- 1 package fresh arugula
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- 6 to 8 slices of bacon
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 3 slices red onion
- 1 bottle balsamic dressing or dressing of your choice
- Slice and fry the bacon until cooked. Drain on a paper towel to absorb the excess grease. Prepare the bacon an hour or two before you’re ready to make the salad so that it will be cold.
- Wash and rinse the spinach, arugula and cherry tomatoes. Grab a bowl and add the spinach. Then add the arugula.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and line them along the edge of the bowl.
- Add the cooled bacon on top of the greens.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top of the bacon.
- Slice the red onion. You can go fancy and make a pattern with several slices, or you can just lay the slices on top.
- Serve with the dressing of your choice, we have used the balsamic dressing.
Leave a Reply