Fruit desserts are by far my favorite sweets. Using in-season strawberries and pantry staples, I present my Easy Bisquick Strawberry Shortcakes! I absolutely love this recipe because it only uses a few ingredients, but the result is delicious enough for a dinner party. These Bisquick shortcakes come together in under an hour and have layers of fruity flavor. I top my Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake recipe with homemade vanilla-scented whipped cream for extra deliciousness. My family loves these shortcakes, and yours will too!
What is Shortcake?
Shortcake is a sweet biscuit-like dough that is baked and served with a fruit topping. They can be served with whipped cream or ice cream over the top. The trifecta of a crunchy, tender biscuit with sweetened fruit and a creamy topping makes this dessert the perfect end to any meal. Strawberries are the most common fruit topping for shortcakes, but use any fruit you like that is in-season. Homemade Bisquick Shortcakes are great with any fruit.
Why Make shortcakes with Bisquick?
Bisquick is a multi-purpose baking mix found in the breakfast aisle of your grocery store. It is commonly used to make pancakes, waffles, and even breaded chicken tenders. Bisquick recipes make cooking and baking a breeze without having to measure out a bunch of different dry ingredients. As a Bisquick substitute, feel free to use the gluten-free or heart-healthy Bisquick varieties for a keto strawberry shortcake option. Also, if you prefer one large shortcake cut into squares, use an 8×8 pan for baking instead of individual cakes.
How to Make Easy Bisquick Strawberry Shortcakes
Sure, you can make shortcakes with traditional dry ingredients, but it would not be as easy as using Bisquick! Strawberries are currently in season since it is the height of summertime, but you can use any seasonal fruit you like.
Recipe ingredients at a glance
- Lemon zest
- Whole milk
- Melted butter
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
Recipe Instructions (full printable recipe below)
Begin the process by getting your ingredients together. This helps keep everything organized as you make your shortcakes.
Start with the fruit filling. Wash your strawberries thoroughly in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Slice off the stems and then slice into 1-cm slices. Add to a medium bowl and then zest your lemon. Combine the strawberries with the lemon zest and some sugar, mix well, and set aside. While you make your shortcakes, the strawberries will let off juices and develop a syrup.
Next, combine your easy shortcake batter. Mix Bisquick, whole milk, sugar, and melted butter together until just combined. On a foil-lined baking sheet, portion off 12 same-sized biscuits. I like to use a small 1/8 cup measuring cup to ensure the shortcakes are roughly the same size.
Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Transfer the shortcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
Finally, make your homemade whipped cream. Add your heavy whipping cream to a bowl and begin to beat with an electric hand mixer. Start on the lowest setting and as your cream thickens, increase the speed. Before you achieve soft peaks, add some powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue beating until your cream is firm and stands up when you pull the beaters out, also known as stiff peaks.
To plate, take a shortcake and slice in half horizontally with a serrated knife, being extra careful to not break the cake. Place the bottom half down onto the plate and top with the strawberries and their juices. Top the strawberries with the homemade whipped cream, and finish it all with the top-half of your shortcake. Since these Bisquick shortcakes are small, I like to serve 2 per serving. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
For the strawberry filling:
- 1 16 oz fresh cut strawberries tops removed and sliced
- 1 zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the Bisquick Shortcakes:
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract use good quality extract
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 450°
- Begin by prepping your strawberries. Slice off the green top and then make 1-centimeter slices down the length of the berry. Add to a medium bowl along with your lemon zest and sugar. Mix to combine fully and set aside. Over time, the strawberries will release juice and form a syrup.
- Assemble your Bisquick shortcakes. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a fork or spatula until just combined. Layout your baking sheet lined with foil and make 12 even shortcakes, spaced about1 inch apart from one another on the sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and slightly puffed. Remove from the oven and place each shortcake on a cooling rack.
- When ready to serve, make your whipped cream. Add the heavy whipping cream to a large bowl and begin beating with an electric mixer. As the cream starts to thicken, add your vanilla and powdered sugar. Continue beating with increasing speed just until you reach stiff peaks.
- To assemble: slice two shortcakes in half horizontally. These shortcakes are crumbly so you want to wait until they are cooled down before cutting with a serrated knife. Place the shortcake bottoms on a plate and top them with your strawberries and syrup. Top the berries with your whipped cream, and place the shortcake top atop the cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!